Pages

Tuesday 29 October 2019

Quest for a Little Auk

In this neck of the woods, Little Auk is a major birding prize. But, if it's going to happen, now is the time...

I've seen ten late-autumn Little Auks in Lyme Bay, all of them fly-bys. Four E past Branscombe on 3/11/06, two W there the following day, one W past Seaton on 10/11/07 and three there (2E, 1W) two days later. And I think I am right in saying that all those sightings were the result of a specific effort to try for Little Auk. Something about my hyper-tuned birdy senses told me that I should go out right there and then, and embark upon a quest for Little Auk. Or it might have been the weather patterns, or their presence down the E coast, or something...I don't know...

Anyway, I scored!

I got the very same feeling in my water a couple of days back, and was unwise enough to post a prediction on the patch WhatsApp group: '...someone will get Little Auk before next weekend.'

Obviously this needs to come true if it's not to look like my birdy senses are shot to bits. So, starting this morning, I began this year's quest...

Burton Bradstock beach. Little Auk Quest. Day 1.
It was freezing first thing. Strong ENE. Nasty. Thankfully this spot is sheltered in such conditions. By 09:00 the highlights were 26 Dunlin, 3 Sanderlings, 2 Turnstones, c.10 unidentified waders, 6 Brents, 5 Common Scoter, 2 Wigeon and a Teal. A few Med Gulls too, but as you know, they have lost their right to be counted. Everything bar 2 Scoter flew E, though a little group of Dunlin climbed up and flew inland over my head.

No Little Auks today. We quest on...

No comments:

Post a Comment