Pages

Monday 10 February 2020

What's in a Name?

Some birders are re-e-eal touchy about nomenclature. I use the word advisedly, because that is exactly what I mean, as in 'the devising or choosing of names for things, especially in a science or other discipline'. Well, birding is a 'discipline' (kind of) and the names you devise and choose to give to birding's 'things' (birds) is a matter of enormous consequence to some of those who practise it (birders).

To see what I mean, try this...

First, go to a random, very popular birding spot and find a Thrush Nightingale. [It's absolutely vital to do this before taking step two] Step two: run over to the nearest ten birders and politely say: 'Excuse me, but I've just found a lovely Sprosser in that sallow clump over there!'

Step three is trickier. On each of those birders you quickly need to perform a non-touching Vulcan mind-meld. Once achieved, this is what you will discover...
  • Ten out of the ten will be delighted at the prospect of seeing a Thrush Nightingale.
  • Five out of the ten will be gutted they didn't find it first.
  • Three out of the ten will be struggling with a gag reflex and thinking very uncharitable thoughts because you called it a Sprosser.
Yes, the word Sprosser is a button-pusher. I'm not sure why. After all, der Sprosser (Luscinia luscinia) ist ein Singvogel aus der Familie der Fliegenschnäpper, und ist known by that very name right across...er...Germany. And (privately) by seven out of ten birders in random, very popular birding spots in the UK. But those other three hate it...

So here's a question. What is wrong with Sprosser? I am curious about why some of the names we use for birds appear almost universally acceptable, and some not. A few get sniffy about Bonxie instead of Great Skua, and more than a few when it comes to Tystie rather than Black Guillemot. Is it a quirky kind of snobbery? A judgement on what is and is not pretentious? Or cool? Something else?

And what about diminutives? I realise there are full-name pedants out there who simply cannot stoop to Lesser Spot, and will insist on all seven syllables of Lesser Spotted Woodpecker come what may, but they are few, and have my pity. Personally I am very comfortable with Mipit, but usually leave the other pipits as they are. I use Pied Fly, Spot Fly and RB Fly, but never Collared Fly (chance would be a fine thing) and see nothing wrong with Icky but don't really use it myself. Gropper always, also Barwit, Blackwit and LRP. I could go on ad infinitum, but you get the picture I'm sure. I use lots of diminutives and other colloquial names with easy familiarity. I don't feel awkward with them, or that I'm in some way forcing it, but I'm conscious that other birders might feel very differently about some of them. Yet there are many which I don't use, that I don't feel so comfortable with. Why is that? Fascinating...

A nice Melody I photographed on Scilly. Er...no... that's not one I use either.

6 comments:

  1. If I was able to Gav, In certain situations I would only broadcast birds using their Latin names.

    Just imagine standing on the Staines causeway of old, calling out the topographical minutiae of a birds features to a fellow 'expert', without revealing in plain English what you are actually describing.

    Dare anyone ask for fear of appearing less informed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can remember having scientific name quizzes with John Herbert en route to twitches. I always got walloped - he knew them all!!

      Delete
  2. Scientific names rather than Latin, though they are very often latinised (sorry, I'm a bit of a pedant regards that!)

    I wonder if names such as Sprosser, Mavis, Scribbling Lark and Windhover perhaps belong to an earlier generation and today's generation simply lack that connection? Will today's Guillemot cause eye-rolling amongst future generations who know it as Western Thin-billed Alcid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could well be part of the story Seth. I still say Sociable Plover and Bearded Tit. And Willow Wren of course...

      Can't see that changing.

      Delete
  3. Semi P is good enough for me........

    ReplyDelete