Pages

Monday 26 October 2020

Garden Listing Tales

I was sitting in our garden cabin this morning, chatting on the phone and peering idly out of the window. Between the cabin door and our little conservatory is about four yards of gravel and slabs. A small, dark bird hopped into view and flicked up to nab a fly off the conservatory door, in the process fanning a rich, red tail. A Black Redstart! It turned out there were at least two birds, at one point both together on the roof of a nearby building...

This one on the ridge...

...and this one by the gutter

This was the first one I saw, photographed on a property just behind ours.

 

Black Redstart is a new bird for the garden, and number 63 on my #BWKM0 list, the first addition for months. I didn't get out birding at all today, but I wonder if there were a few more of these lovely little characters out there among the local rooftops?

The appearance of that first one, on the modest span of ground between the cabin and conservatory, gives me the opportunity to recount the story of another nice garden bird...

It was November, in 2016 I think, though I never did note the exact date. I was in the cabin very early, catching up on some paperwork. Just before dawn there was a torrential downpour. When it finally relented I stepped outside, intent on brewing a coffee. Pausing briefly I looked around. The air was clean and fresh in the weak light, the ground still very wet. It is just four or five strides to the conservatory. As I took the final step, a bird exploded off the gravel, just inches from the conservatory, and shot away over the neighbouring gardens, climbing rapidly. It was a Jack Snipe! Presumably a migrant downed by the heavy rain, it is undoubtedly one of the most ludicrous garden birds I am ever likely to see.

The astute reader will probably have wondered how I could be so sure it wasn't just a Common Snipe. No binoculars, obviously, and the light's not too great at that time in the morning is it? And of course they are right to be dubious. So. Here's why it's a Jack Snipe, now and forever...

Although my views were pretty grim, there was no doubting it was a Snipe sp. Jack Snipe are considerably outnumbered by Common Snipe, so I know where the statistical probability lies. However, I almost trod on it. It didn't call. It gave the impression of a smallish bird. To me that suggests Jack Snipe. My garden is very small, three miles inland, and nowhere near any marshy, Snipe-ish habbo. The likelihood of ever getting another is very slightly greater than zero. If you think I'm going to have 'Unidentified Snipe sp' on my garden list, well, think again! My gut said Jack Snipe, and I went with it. And as the saying goes, it's my list and I'll count what I want! Oh, and did I mention how it was quite clearly looking for a reedy spot to quickly drop back into? No...?

7 comments:

  1. Gav, those are magnificent birds for a small garden. My best is probably the Red Kite which swooped down and relived the local crows of the remains of a cooked chicken.

    My best out of place bird will of course always be the Red-Legged Partridge, which I came face to face with in the depths of town. Photos if wanted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Red Kite actually in the garden is rather impressive Ric! But my favourite garden bird story of yours is definitely still the heard-only Golden Oriole which had you out there looking for it in your underpants!! ๐Ÿ˜„

      Delete
    2. Yes Gav, that! Shame it didn't show. At least it was a good job the neighbours didn't see me. Or at least they haven't let on that they did.

      Delete
  2. I trod on a Jack Snipe last weekend. It did not call, looked small, flew low and landed again after 10m. It did this three times without giving us clinching views of the bill etc. I ticked it immediately. My fellow birder for whom it was a patch lifer was reluctant. Later it turned out he had got a photo after all and it showed what you wanted it to show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One spot on the Axe which used to produce the odd Jack Snipe or two, all the Common Snipe would be up and off the moment you set foot there. Anything which popped up after that was inevitably a Jack. But I know that feeling of reluctance to tick when you don't get great views...

      Except when it's the only Snipe sp that your garden is ever likely to see in a million years! ๐Ÿ˜„

      Delete
  3. Hmmm. Sounds more like it was a Yellow Rail to me. Inland habitat, poor light, not much else it could be really. Untickable views too. Oh well, there's a pity... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know... I should have gone big! ๐Ÿ˜„

      Delete