Pages

Saturday 24 June 2023

214 Moths

The 214 moths caught these last two nights were far from evenly distributed. Last night was a bit warmer, but I wouldn't have guessed it was going to produce almost three times as many moths as Thursday, and twice the variety. Predicting what may, or may not, be a good night for mothing must be a useful talent, but I definitely don't have it. As I type, it is very warm out, and muggy, but the sky is clear. Will tonight be especially good, or just average? Obviously I hope the former, but have no real idea.

Thursday night

57 moths of 33 species, with three new for year and one new for garden.

New for the garden, this apparently common moth took a while to ID. When I did eventually get there, I learned that the crumpled, almost collapsed-looking back end is actually an excellent pointer to this species, which can have very variable markings.

Large and loud. Magpie Moth is always a treat. New for the year.

Friday night

Last night's 157 moths of 66 species was miles better, and right up there with the most productive I've experienced so far. 12 species new for year, but just two new for garden.

Fan-foot. Common, but only caught this species three times last year. First for 2023.

Light Arches. First of the year. Another common moth, but only caught it twice in 2022.

First Lesser Yellow Underwing of the year. Very fresh, but with a deformed wing.

Caught this little moth twice last year. It is one of three which turned up last night. This photo was taken in the 5 milliseconds it kept still.

New for the garden. A few Bridport area records.

Nice to get another pug species. I recognised that dull orange waistcoat from last year - Haworth's Pug.

New for the year. Caught a handful in 2022.

New for the garden. This is the Great Black-backed Gull of Scoparids. Nationally common, but there is only one other Living Record dot in the Bridport area.

I expect to see plenty more of this charismatic little moth as the summer progresses.

Barred Yellow, a species that we saw just once last year. This gorgeous little moth was a major highlight of the night's catch.

Among last night's pugs was a Currant/Wormwood type. My bleary, crack-of-dawn eyes were not up to sorting it it out but, for me, a photo helps enormously...

I went for Wormwood Pug, the first this year.

Out of curiosity, I thought it might be helpful to compare it to a couple of the Currant Pugs caught earlier this month, or, more accurately, what I have called Currant Pugs. So here they all are...

Top two: Currant Pugs. Bottom: last night's Wormwood Pug. Well, that's what I think anyway. Yes, it's all very subtle!

The 2023 moth tally is cracking on nicely - 280 now.

No comments:

Post a Comment