Pages

Saturday 12 August 2023

RIP Old Friend

The sea was productive this morning. A typical dribble of Gannets was suddenly interrupted by a wave of Kittiwakes arriving from the east. I stopped counting at 166, when I realised they were beginning to gather with Gannets into a sizeable feeding flock. Presumably this was what drew in several Arctic Skuas. Following a few sightings of between one and five birds from 06:50, a tight flock of seven headed W at 07:55, but I've no idea how many there were in total. In 20 years here, I've never seen a flock of seven Arctics. Factor in 5 Med Gulls, 4 Manxies, 3 Sandwich Terns, 2 'commic' Terns and at least two Common Dolphins by 08:00, and it was a very decent seawatch for here. Pete Forrest joined me for a bit, before heading off with a promise to let me know as soon as he found the mega...

At 08:30 Pete did just that!

Spoonbill is certainly a West Bay mega! In a flooded field visible from an inland corner of my West Bay & Eype patch, and a very welcome sight indeed!

And then tragedy struck...

For a few months now, my Nikon P900 has been showing signs that its days were numbered. The fold-out viewing screen was the first organ to shut down, but I mostly used the eye view-finder anyway, so pressed on. As long as the camera could 'see', I was happy. Well, today it went blind. Moments after taking the photo above, the view-finder stopped working. And, as I type, the camera still cannot see. I have tried everything. It still has a beating heart, and a functioning brain, but no eyes. It sees only darkness. I am...there is only one word...distraught.

I was especially hacked off because there were moths to photograph...

 

Friday night, August 11th

A windy, though mild, night. Just 50 moths of 31 species; one new for year and garden.

It didn't take me too long to find my old Panasonic Lumix FZ38. It looked so dated, and ridiculously tiny, but beggars can't be choosers. Thankfully one of the two batteries I have was still okay, and took a decent charge. I never really used its macro function, so the questionable quality of what follows is no surprise...

Oak Hook-tip. New for the garden, but quite common I think.

First Small Square-spot since mid-June.

One last year and, so far, two in 2023.

The nicest example of Metalampra italica so far, but it's pretty obvious that the Panasonic is not going to manage little micro-moths very well.

A new camera is on order, though unfortunately the P900 is no longer manufactured. In the meantime, bird photos might be few and far between.

 

EDIT

I nearly forgot! Two more Blair's Mochas last night. Despite ropiness, photos are obligatory...

Blair's Mocha #17 and #18. I think the colours here are not quite as true to life as I would like, but one of them really was much yellower than the other.

6 comments:

  1. The P900 did well Gav. But I find it curious that it's malfunctioned just now, as only yesterday I was wondering if an upgrade to the P1000 for you might be a possibility? The spec looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The P1000 looks a bit too hefty for my liking. And in practice I don't often use 2000mm, so 3000mm is probably more than I need. I've gone for the P950.

      Delete
  2. It died a warrior Gav and has brought countless wonderful images to your blog. The 950 is another great but heavy camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I got two months shy of four years reliable service, and thousands of wonderful images from it; the Nikon owes me nothing. If they were still made, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. The 950 specs list it as heavier and a little bulkier, but hopefully we will get on famously nonetheless.

      And I shall feel naked until it arrives! 😄

      Delete
  3. I've just sold almost all my Canon equipment apart from a pro body and two birding lenses. Reason? Too heavy. I've replaced it with the tiniest, cleverest, swishest Sony mirrorless camera I think I've ever seen, and bought just one lens. The whole thing is 800g and will easily fit in my pockets when I go off travelling. I there is a special anti-moth setting as well....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your camera weighs 100g less than the P900, and 200g less than the P950! And I'll bet it takes lovely moth pics. 😄

      Delete