Pages

Saturday 14 October 2023

The Day After

Sometimes I have to pinch myself...

Cogden, looking west. Photo taken from roughly the spot where the trio of Ring Ouzels were on Monday afternoon.

This is what my local birding country looks like. I worked it slowly and carefully this afternoon, conscious that mid-October can produce almost anything anywhere. In the event, ten thousand bushes produced almost nothing anywhere. Just four Chiffchaffs in fact, but who cares? Being out there and in it is almost reward enough. Almost. Let's face it, you always need a few birds too...

This rather unsharp Marsh Harrier was Bird of the Afternoon. Clearly a male (2nd-summer?) so not Wednesday's individual, and only my second of the year.

The afternoon's only Wheatear. I doubt there'll be many more chances for Wheatear-on-the-beach pics this year.

Strikingly broad white fringes to the greater coverts on this Pied Wag. Definitely worth a photo in the evening light.

In the sunshine and light north-westerly it was hard to believe that a convoy of large shearwaters had trundled through Lyme Bay yesterday. In fact the sea was almost deserted today, with just a sprinkling of gulls and the odd distant Gannet. I read this morning that a staggering 10,000+ Great Shearwaters had passed Start Point, at the south-western tip of the bay. And yesterday's Portland Bird Observatory blog post is definitely worth a look.

While I'm on the subject of blog posts that are worth a look, here is a belter from Mark Pearson's blog. I have never experienced an East Coast fall of this nature, but it sounds amazing. And Mark's tale has a brilliant ending.


Moth Diary

Thursday night, 5th October

29 moths of 11 species; one new for year...

Nationally common, but we trapped just one last year. There are five other Bridport area records on the Living Record map.


Friday night, 6th October

A mild night, producing 41 moths of 14 species. Nothing new, but 21 Box-tree Moths equalled the recent new record count.


Saturday night, 7th October

30 moths of 14 species. Another Blair's Mocha was notable, but nothing much else.


Monday night, 9th October

21 moths of 10 species; one new for year and garden. Feathering and brindling appears to be a common autumn theme...

Brindled Green. New for the garden, and less than 10 Bridport area records on the Living Record map, but listed as nationally common.

A nice Feathered Ranunculus.

Another gorgeous Feathered Brindle.


Tuesday night, 10th October

45 moths of 13 species. Another mild night. It produced nothing new, but 22 Box-tree Moths was a new record, and migrants were represented by a Vestal, Rush Veneer and Silver Y.

 

The trap has not been out for a few nights, and I can sense a lack of zeal on my part. The clear sky and dropping temperatures are doing little to enthuse me right now, but I know the show isn't over just yet...

3 comments:

  1. Hi Gav - great post, as always. It might be my eyes and/or computer but can't see much green on your Brindled Green. Worth checking for Sombre Brocade? Have only ever trapped one so certainly wouldn't like to say for sure. All the best. Matt. PS - fab Caspian Gull the other day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ever so much for your comment, Matt. Must admit I barely checked the Sombre Brocade possibility, but your suggestion has made me do some proper digging! I came across this excellent post from the PBO blog (https://www.portlandbirdobs.com/2016/09/21st-september.html?m=1) which I reckon confirms mine as Brindled Green, albeit a worn one. Shame, it would have been nice to get an unexpected bonus rarity!

      Yes, that Casp was a beaut. Knew you'd appreciate it! 😄 Hope it's not another two years until my next one.

      Delete
    2. Ah - well done Gav. Martin certainly does some great stuff on the PBO website. I think it's highly likely you'll get Sombre Brocade where you are but you may have to wait 'til next autumn. All the best. Matt.

      Delete