Pages

Wednesday 27 March 2024

The Problem with Self-Found Listing

I have a love/hate relationship with 'self-found' listing. There is an appealing purity to the idea of keeping a list of birds which are all your own work, so to speak, but for me that idea is notional at best. There are a thousand reasons why I struggle with the whole concept of self-found, and here are a few of them...

First, the term itself. I mean, self-found has more than a whiff of tautology about it, surely? Why not simply keep a list of your finds and call it a Finds List? Why add the 'self' bit? After all, who else's birds would you include in your finds list? The term 'self-found' conveys a teeny bit too much 'Look! I found that bird! Aren't I clever!' for my liking, and doesn't sit comfortably.

Right, that's my Pedants Corner soap-box issue dealt with. So let's get on with the practical problems of keeping a self-found list.

Over the years I have noticed that the main concern of birders interested in keeping a self-found list is this: what exactly can you count?

This is such a burning issue that a whole set of rules was once compiled to address it. It must be almost 20 years ago that the fabled Punkbirders published their self-found rules, to wide acceptance at the time I think. If - like I did just prior to writing this - you google 'punkbirder self-found rules', you will be disappointed. There is no active link, and I suspect the old website may be defunct. However, there is a ton of other stuff on self-found. Hampshire Ornithological Society has its own self-found rules, three-and-a-half pages of them. Various scenarios are dealt with, illustrating what you can and cannot count as self-found. The writer points out that it is just a bit of fun and acknowledges that some birders will choose to be stricter with themselves, or more lenient. And this is one reason I struggle, because when it comes to rare and scarce birds I simply know if I found it or not, and a load of rules (to bend or not bend) are superfluous.

For example, if I am birding in company and someone else claps eyes on the Calandra Lark three seconds before me, then I didn't find it, did I? Or, suppose I walk up to someone peering at what they think is a male Pied Flycatcher, and I happen to realise that it is actually a Collared Flycatcher, well, I didn't find that either. Of course, chance would be a fine thing, but honestly, how could I in good conscience add either bird to my self-found list? Yet the rules allow both.

And then we have the grey area of scarce breeders and winter visitors, where the rules state that your bird must be well away from known sites in order to count as self-found. How well away? I have no idea. Rock Dove must be tricky to self-find. And I do struggle with the notion of self-finding common birds. 'Yep, I managed to add Coal Tit to my self-found year list today', said nobody, ever, puffing out their chest a little. I suppose these birds just have to go on the list in order to inflate it as much as possible, so that when you compare your list to someone else's...

And it is here that I completely lose interest. The whole idea of competitive self-found listing seems pointless to me, no matter how much 'just for fun' it is claimed to be. With all sorts of rules being applied - or not applied - at the whim of each individual, how can any comparison be valid?

Still, I am well aware that some birders consider their self-found list to be a sacred document, and totally get that.

Stone-curlew at Cogden, definitely on the finds list that I don't keep.

Obviously, the main reason for my stance on self-found listing is so that no-one ever asks me what my self-found list is.

14 comments:

  1. 'Yep, I managed to add Coal Tit to my self-found year list today', said nobody, ever, puffing out their chest a little.
    Except at Staines Reservoir I believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That made me laugh, Ric! The Staines list was once a sacred document though. 😂

      Delete
    2. Yes Gav, the image you once described of a group of Staines listers standing on the extreme northern boundary with one of their feet through the railing with which to qualify, while straining to hear the call of said bird, will never leave me. The mind boggles. In mitigation I'll say now that you were not one of them 😉

      Delete
    3. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. 😂

      Delete
  2. https://www.surfbirds.com/uk250club.html#:~:text=The%20UK%20250%20Club%20is,be%20seen%20as%20excessively%20competitive Gavin, were these the rules you were originally thinking of? Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike, they are similar. The Punkbirder rules were published a few years later. I suspect they included refinements to the UK250 rules, but I can't recall what those might have been!

      Delete
  3. I have thoughts very similar Gav. For me its stuff like Golden Eagle, Ptarmigan, Chough etc. Most of us go to places to look specifically for them, ie known sites. So I trudge up Cairngorm and along to Ben Macdui or up Carn ban Mor and see Ptarmigan by myself. I knew they would be there so went and saw them. I didnt 'find' them. No one did. They evolved there! There will be a load of similar conundrums as this, hence, no self found list for me. Never done it, never will. It might be a better idea to count self found BB rares and scarce only? Then either you did or you didnt. Whats your SFL? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, my finds list would be very small in comparison to most. No common birds at all, and no Chough, Ptarmigan, etc etc. Mind you, extralimital Chough is a realistic possibility here, and I'd have it like a shot! 😄

      Delete
  4. By the way I self found a Stone Curlew too! On a Northumberland beach that is a big deal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why do we make our simple pastimes so complicated? Gav, you live on the coast where countless birds of umpteen species pass by twice a year. Your results are spectacular compared with somebody living in the middle of the country. You can only play the cards you are dealt or become a massive twitcher/long distance hunter.
    They are just birds, I see it as noticing what is nearby for your own entertainment, no rules just simple pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, we do have a tendency to complicate things unneccessarily. Over on Steve Gale's 'North Downs & Beyond' blog is a paragraph from Luke Jennings' book 'Blood Knots'; it's a quote from the late Bernard Venables on the three stages to an angler's evolution. The principle applies to birding too. I am at stage three now.
      Here: http://northdownsandbeyond.blogspot.com/2024/03/50-years.html

      Delete
    2. I've got 'Blood Knots' and may now re-read it. The theory is very accurate, I wrote a similar piece in my blog many moons ago. https://daveburrsblog.blogspot.com/2014/11/fishing-is-lot-like.html#comment-form

      Delete
    3. Sorry Dave, not quite sure how my reply ended up 'Anonymous'.

      Delete