Pages

Sunday 10 May 2020

Garden Life

I was up early this morning, and before breakfast had analysed the night's nocmig recording. Then it was out into the garden to spot birds and mull over the nocturnal revelations. Barely had I filled my gob with a big swig of coffee when two silent Greylags flew right over the garden and away NE. A mad scramble for the camera, and one brief chance to capture a record shot...

Two Greylags. Trust me. A couple of seconds later they were out of view.

On the old Axe patch I guess Greylag was just about annual, but they are certainly not a regular sight locally. Well, not for me. Two over the garden is unlikely to happen again any time soon. So, a very good start to the day...

Last night I sat out for a while, accompanying my nocmig kit with a super-sharp pair of ears. There was also the red wine, the blue stilton and a few crackers, but the main reason I was there was to listen. After the wine and cheese it seemed appropriate to recline my chair a bit, and rela-a-a-ax. At some point I was conscious of nodding slightly. Not falling asleep you understand, just teetering on the edge. Well, that's what I thought. At 22.58 a Coot flew over, bellowing like a donkey. I know this because it's right there on the recording. Also right there on the recording are the sounds of my regular deep breathing at roughly four-second intervals. On this video you can just about see and hear them at 2, 6, 10, 14 and 19 seconds...



I'm not sure where my nearest local Coots might be. Certainly a few miles away I would imagine. Knowing that Coots occasionally migrate over the garden is just mad. In fact, knowing they can stay airborne for more than about ten seconds is pretty amazing.

Despite the weather changing today, with a switch to a brisk NE breeze and less heat, I was hopeful of some more Red Kite action, and was out in the garden again around midday. With my notebook and biro...

Far more writing than your average seawatch. Far more!

As well as 27 Red Kites (ignore that '28' pencilled in the notebook above) the major highlight was some actual Hobby passage. Four birds (two together and two singles) was a real treat. Also a Peregrine, which is my third or fourth #BWKM0 bird, despite no previous garden records. Notice the Lesser Black-backed Gull? Another garden scarcity. And Beautiful Demoiselle, a female which flew straight through.

Some pics...

Best Hobby photo by a very long way. It was motoring!


I have a million tenth-rate Red Kite images, but will spare you. Instead, here are a couple of invertebrate photos which came out okay...

Large Red Damselflies ovipositing

Momentarily I thought this was a bee, but it is in fact a hoverfly. I had a couple of ID suggestions from Twitter folk, and it would appear to be a Narcissus Bulb Fly (Merodon equestris). I do not keep a hoverfly list and never will, but it's still nice to know what things are isn't it?


With the addition of Greylag I think my #BWKM0 list is now on 58. Obviously I somehow need to get to 60. What will the next two species be? I look forward to spending more time in the garden and finding out.

I'll be out there again shortly. Wide awake and alert, bolt upright in an unreclined chair...

7 comments:

  1. My Lockdown List is on 58 too (courtesy of that Common Sandpiper racket I mentioned a few days back). And I have tomorrow as a day off work, maybe even the following day too. Who will hit 60 first, I wonder??? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are your Top 5 absentees, would you say? Mine are probably White-tailed Eagle (yeah seriously), Siskin, Whitethroat, Woodpigeon and maybe Kittiwake. Plus there's a Corncrake calling downhill of here, if the wind changes direction then that's a possibility too.

      Delete
    2. Good question. In the light of your comments I checked my list this morning. First thing I realised was that I'd counted Jay twice, so I'm actually on 57. Secondly, I am so not in touch with my garden bird possibilities that I have no idea what the top 5 absentees might be. Song Thrush is an obvious one - it breeds not far away. Other than that...? I don't even know if I've ever seen Greenfinch here. Dreadful. I am going to sit down later and work out the list of birds I definitely have seen in or from my garden.

      Delete
  2. Two things of note here Gav.

    The first is the astonishing selection of raptors we now have around us. When we first met, I think a Kestrel was all we could hope for. I had a Sparrowhawk in early 1973. Quite uncommon for the London area at the time I believe, but years before anything else. Yet now?

    The other thing is about Coots moving and migrating. It must have been decades since I read that Coots on the wing could cover over 400 miles in one go!!!

    Like you, I imagined 400 yards would have been a push.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Kestrel was about as good as it got when we were kids, certainly in suburban London. It really is great to have so many Red Kites, Buzzards, Sparrowhawks and Peregrines these days. When I moved from Rickmansworth in 2002 my London Area list included one [wing-tagged] Red Kite which I twitched over in Essex somewhere, zero Buzzards and zero Peregrines. That gives some perspective to the current situation I think.

      Delete
  3. I can think of lakes I've fished where I dreamed of a coot migration :o)

    60 must be just a matter of time and staying awake - Stay Alert. At least it makes sense when birding, not so sure what Boris is on about???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Me too. And that they could take the swans, geese and every single Tuftie with them...

      60 will come. There are plenty of common birds that could make an appearance. It's just that I have no idea which ones they might be. Yes, I will Stay Alert. :o)

      Delete