This afternoon's frustration was provided by a warblery thing which zipped past, making me think 'Whitethroat!' before landing in a neighbour's hawthorn. As it tipped forward into the foliage and vanished, I glimpsed an undertail which suggested that white outers were involved. Not. Quite. Enough...
Whitethroat was a feature of this morning's walk. It was so cold first thing that it wouldn't have surprised me to see this bird's breath steaming...
| Whitethroat going for it in frigid blue. That background is the sea. |
| I got one shot of this leggy Hare before it hurried into cover |
For me, highlight of the walk was finding a singing Corn Bunting where I've never seen Corn Bunting before. I like Corn Buntings. They strike me as irrepressibly cheerful with their silly, hissy song. It's like they've been a bit short-changed in the looks and brains department, but are blissfully unaware. Bless...
| Big brown blob-on-a-stick. |
| Corn Bunting. Stonking. Three words which can never appear in the same sentence. |
I'll close with this photo of a Whimbrel. Actually it's a photo of a field of flowers, and the Whimbrel is a just a tiny decorative detail...
When I put my mind to it and can get in the groove, I love birding in this part of the world. It may not be heaving with rarities, but the rewards are there to be had in many, many other ways...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.