Pages

Sunday 29 November 2020

Still Birding. Just.

Well, it's been three weeks since the last NQS post. Three weeks of intensive DIY, a modest helping of paid work and a little birding. Where shall I start? Do you want to know about the hot & cold replumb? The kitchen downlights saga? Are you even slightly curious about the pipe-soldering power of a Rothenberger Superfire 2 gas torch? Exactly. Which is why this blog has been a bit quiet.

Also there has been running. Previous efforts to get a decent running habit established have been thwarted by injury every time, so I'm trying a run/walk type approach. This involves alternating 2-10 minutes running with 30 sec-2 min walk breaks. So far so good. I've got about nine runs under the belt in three weeks, mostly around 3-4 miles, and can already detect a reasonable improvement in the cardio-vascular department. I was never a fast runner, but in my early thirties once managed slightly quicker than 6'30" per mile for a half marathon. At nearly twice that age (and almost 10kg heavier) it is sobering to realise just how out of reach is such a blistering pace! Never mind, at least I can still run!

I've noticed that my urgent need to get out for an early birding walk has waned somewhat. There have been one or two short afternoon outings at the weekend, but most of my mid-week birding has involved lunchtime. And already I've been investigating the sewage works for Sibe Chiff potential. So far there have been few Chiffs of any kind, with 6+ at Colyton WTW the best count. However, I did have brief and annoying views of a good tristis candidate at Kilmington, but there was no sign of it on a subsequent visit. Early days though...

My best recent bird is probably this...

This Seaton Black Redstart was a nice distraction from work last week.

It is rapidly approaching the season when gulls occupy more of my birding time than almost anything else. In fact, that's happening already. Even a recent visit to West Bexington beach was basically just gulls and little else...

Several Med Gulls, but nothing bigger and more exciting.

There is loads more DIY on my to-do list, and with the added constraints of short winter days and the need to earn a few bob, my birding time is going to be at a premium. Still, if you see me parked up beside the Axe Estuary, peering at gulls, you can be certain of one thing...

It will be lunchtime.

6 comments:

  1. Welcome back but please, no talk of running, such things should be kept to one's self rather than impose shame on the fatties of the world..... like me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, 'running' is a bit of an exaggeration for what I do. 'Not Quite Walking' would describe it. 😊

      Delete
  2. Aah the good ol' Rothenberger Superfire 2 - a marvellous work of engineering, manufactured right here in Britain by Rolls Royce during the 1940s and the only engine versatile enough to power heavy bombers such as the Avro Lanc and the small fighters such as the Hurricane and Spitfire. They sure don't make 'em like that nowadays. Or am I thinking of something else...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think what you have in mind is actually a bit fierce for soldering copper pipe. Also a bit unwieldy! 😄

      Delete
  3. Plumbing?! Soldering?! My idea of DIY is putting up a picture, or recently, changing the water filter on my fridge. Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a kid, the only time I recall a tradesman working in our house was an electrician, to connect the meter tails to the new consumer unit. Basically my stepdad did everything. I'm afraid it rubbed off...

      Delete