Pages

Saturday 7 November 2020

A Good Day

It's funny how things go sometimes. Unexpected events connect like falling dominoes and reward you with something nice...

I had time for a quick walk this morning, and for a change chose a West Bay to Eype route. Heading up the cliff path a flock of about 10 Siskins bombed E below me, which was a good start. I rarely see other birders locally so was surprised to spot one five minutes later, evidently set up for a bit of vis-migging. We said hello as I walked past. Being a bit of a loner, normally that would have been that, but a few yards further on I had second thoughts and retraced my steps. I realised this must be Tom Brereton, whom I had never met but know has been vis-migging at West Bay for years. It was. So we said hello a bit more fully and chatted for a few minutes, then I headed on as before.

For the return leg I decided to take a slightly more inland route which cuts through a holiday park. As I opened the gate into it my phone beeped. It was a direct message from Tom Brereton to me via Twitter: Snow Bunting just dropped in near pods. Oof! I was just 200 yards away, so very shortly, this...

When you're gorgeous and you know it... Snow Bunting.

So yes, if I'd carried on being my usual unsociable self I would have missed out on this little cracker!

Snow Bunting is quite rare locally. Twice I can recall birds putting in decent stays at Seaton, on the shingle east of the Yacht Club, and a single on Beer Head, but that's my lot I think. Unless you count one I saw by the River Exe at Turf Lock. Certainly this is my first in the Bridport area.

This bare patch of ground was clearly full of seeds.


Apart from the Siskins I saw nothing else of note at all, and this theme played out all day. Except for a single Goldcrest, a few Blackbirds, and the ubiquitous Robins which are forever toying with you as they dive around like something rare, the bushes felt dead. Likewise the sky. The sea. Everything. And then, right at close of play...

Male Black Redstart in West Bexington

Initially I assumed this was the bird which arrived on 22nd October, but maybe not...

First of all it hasn't been seen for several days. And secondly, although today's bird was always distant its white wing-panels appeared to be a lot less striking. So it is probably a new one. Bit of a coincidence getting consecutive males though. And literally across the road from one another.

So that's today. A good day.

2 comments: