Pages

Monday 29 March 2021

Today's Birds

If the weather forecast is anything to go by, I have a funny feeling there are going to be a lot of birds over the next few days. So in order to avoid too much of a backlog, here's a quick post of today's bits and bobs.

The pre-work walk...

When it comes to Wheatear perches, as long as it has a bit of elevation - no matter how slight - they're not fussy...

It might be a pretty lump of beautiful holiday park...

...a hefty lump of weathered concrete...

...a nasty lump of black stuff...

...a ubiquitous lump of fence...

...a pungent lump of poop...

...or...yes...upright wood again.

Best morning yet for Wheatears. I counted a minimum of eight. Even better for Swallows, with at least 22 being my first of the year; they were coasting west in little parties from just after first light. With a couple of Chiffs in the beach-side bushes, it was obvious that birds were arriving in numbers this morning. It's all beginning to happen...

Then it was off to work for me.

Obviously there was lunchtime though...

There were lots of gulls to go through on the Axe Estuary. Unfortunately the dual problems of harsh sunlight and heat-haze made things tricky, but Steve had an absolutely gorgeous 1st-winter Caspian Gull on Saturday, so I was inspired to keep at it. And I'm glad I did. An immature gull on the water caught my eye. It was bathing vigorously, and although the bright sunshine made it difficult to be sure, the upperparts seemed a tad darker than Herring Gull. As I watched, a foot came out of the water, and I could swear it had a yellow tinge. I reached for my camera, turned back...and it had gone. A few minutes later I found it again, still on the water but much further upstream. And again I lost it! Finally I picked it up one more time, moments before it flew to the far bank. The flight views confirmed my suspicions: a 2nd-summer Yellow-legged Gull, which I'm pretty sure is a new plumage for me. A rather striking combination of grey, adult-like mantle, full black tail-band and bright yellow bill. Lots of grey wing coverts too, and inner primaries. Due to the long range and heat-haze, my pics really don't do justice to this very smart gull...

Even though it's only a relatively young 2nd-summer bird, it already has a strong yellow tinge to the legs - compare with nearby Herring Gulls.

Lots of grey wing coverts on view there. Very advanced plumage when compared to a Herring Gull of similar age.

Okay, it's not a Caspian Gull, but it kept me happy.

In the distance I spotted a dark thing among the gulls...

Brent Geese are very small aren't they?

I do like Wheatears. It's unlikely I'll get bored with them any time soon, and I find it almost impossible to resist their come-hither gaze as they sit sexily upon some elevated lump of stuff. Expect lots more photos...

2 comments:

  1. Yet another, 'ooh! a blog posting from Gav, go get a cup of tea settle in for a good read moment'.

    Yes Gav, the standard of readability is still there. I read them all. Even yesterdays which confirmed how birding 'thick' I am.

    80 miles planned for tomorrow on the bike. Still birding as I go mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ric. 😊
      Not sure what my best bird from the bike would be, but I've cycle-twitched Glaucous Gull, Grey Phalarope and Hoopoe! 😄

      Delete