Pages

Thursday 3 June 2021

May Nights

A short post to look at nocmig returns for May. I missed four nights. Two due to horrendous weather, and two because I failed to switch the recorder from 'standby' to 'record'. You can probably imagine how annoying it is to pop out eagerly for your night's catch, only to find the standby light blinking away. And again a few nights later. Strewth!

Anyway, here is a spreadsheet summary of the month:

May totals in the yellow column, March to May in the blue column

A total of probably 14 species for the month, of which Barn Owl and Mallard will be local birds, and no doubt most or all of the Moorhens too. Which leaves Little Grebe, Coot and Water Rail, 6 waders and 2 passerines. No nocmig mega this month, but plenty of interest all the same.

I am still intrigued by the idea that rallids like Moorhen, Coot and Water Rail spend time wafting about the night sky, and as the latter two do not breed (or even occur) anywhere close to my home (as far as I know), what on earth are they up to? Little Grebe ditto. Bizarre!

May was definitely the month for wader passage. No Curlews though. Predictably they seem to be early movers, and I didn't get any in April either. On the basis of an amazing 40 occurences on the night of 8th/9th, Dunlin was easily the numerical winner with 51 over 7 nights. A consistently strong showing by Whimbrel (15 over 10 nights) put them second. Then Ringed Plover (7 over 6 nights), Oystercatcher (4 over 3 nights), Turnstone (2 over 2 nights) and a single Common Sandpiper. Several times the wader recordings would indicate multiple birds passing, but I find it impossible to judge how many.

I've logged 6 Spotted Flycatchers over 4 nights, but I'm 99% certain the 2 flycatcher sp. on 11th/12th were Spot Flys too. So, 8 birds during the month. I find this fascinating. First of all, presumably only a percentage of overflying Spot Flys will actually call while passing over my nocmig kit. Secondly, only a percentage will even be in range of it. Thirdly, loads of nocturnally migrating passerines are apparently silent. What I'm trying to say is: just imagine the myriad feathered specks which must pepper the night sky during migration season! I do get it that nocmig fails to ignite the imagination of some birders. What's the point of recording stuff you can't see, that you can't tick in some way? Speaking for myself, I don't care. Nocmig has opened a door to an unexpected world of wonder and delight. There, I've said it. I've gone soft.

Finally, as in April, Blackcap features in the nocmig haul. A single song-phrase at 03:50 0n 28th. What was that all about? A migrant? Local bird? Who knows?! I haven't noticed any Blackcap song in the early dawn chorus. Strange.

To conclude, a nice Spotted Flycatcher sonogram, and a spectrovid of a different individual...

The downward inflection is possibly not typical, but I think the spikes are diagnostic for Spot Fly.


Here we are in June now, and I expect slim pickings from the nocmig efforts. However, you just never know. Even last night there were multiple Ringed Plovers. What next?

9 comments:

  1. I recall scanning a flock of high-flying hirundines at Lakenheath Fen some years back and being somewhat bemused to find a Coot circling with them, it was a goodly way up too! Delusions of grandeur, I thought at the time. Almost as bizarre, I once had one placidly bobbing on the sea midpoint between Land's End and Scilly, viewed at point blank range from the Scillonian. Birds fly. Some sit on the open sea. But somehow it just seems 'wrong' for a Coot to be doing it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've been very privileged. They never normally do any of that stuff if they think someone is looking. Closet fliers.

      Delete
  2. Gone soft? You've gone hardcore, more like.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! It's reached the stage where I'm gutted if I miss a night, so, more than a dalliance perhaps. 😄

      Delete
  3. I still find your research absorbing. As for blackcaps, locally, I've never heard so many. nocmig technology will, one day, cover much more ground and minds will be blown, maybe even clear up the great coot mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Although a few birders have been nocmig recording for years, there are loads of newbies at it in the last 12 months or so, presumably due to the first coronavirus lockdown. As you say, there is definitely a lot to learn and discoveries to be made. I find it fascinating. 😊

      Delete
  4. Just revisited this blog as I find your blogs interesting, in the spreed sheet I am presuming the numbers in the columns relate to the number of bird calls? I had the mic out last night 9th June had Moorhen flying about and a Cetti's warbler which is not to surprising as only about a 100 or so yards away from the River Allen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Martin. No, the numbers refer to 'occurrences'. So a Whimbrel (or flock of Whimbrel) that calls once, or ten times, will count as one. Its a bit subjective, but if there was another call a couple of minutes later I would probably assume the first bird(s) had gone through and count that as another occurrence. The Whimbrel count for that night would be 2. Hope that clarifies it.

      I think others may record differently. Works for me though. 😊

      Delete
    2. PS. Last two nights have been completely blank for me! 😄

      Delete