Pages

Saturday 20 August 2022

Convolvulus Hawk-moth

At what stage of its life is a Convolvulus Hawk-moth a Convolvulus Hawk-moth? This might seem a daft question, but the answer determines whether I have seen two of them, or three.

The first was on October 12th, 2010, on the Scilly Isles. It's pretty sobering to realise I had already chalked up half a century plus before I saw a Convolvulus Hawk-moth, and even that was pure serendipity. As the crowd dispersed following a Pied Wheatear twitch on St Mary's, someone spotted this...

Waiting for dusk...and for all the people to go away.

To get that photo, I honestly cannot remember if I went to quite the same lengths as Ian Lewington, but probably...


I was delighted with this encounter and, not being a moth-trapper, never particularly expected to see another. But on October 21st, 2019, while doing some work very close to our bungalow, I almost put my hand in what I thought was a nasty big blob of excrement. Until I looked closer...

Convolvulus Hawk-moth caterpillar.

It was Twitter folk who retrospectively identified it for me, so this rather poor phone pic is all I have. Still, the question remains. Is this my second Convolulus Hawk-moth, or not?

And so to last night.

We have several potted Nicotiana plants close to the garden cabin, and in a quietly optimistic corner of my mind I have nursed a hope that they might pull in one of these splendid moths. I have no idea whether it was the Nicotianas wot dun it, but the first I knew of our success was when I peered in the mouth of the trap late yesterday evening and spied a massive moth peering back. And I just knew.

Sadly it is a beaten-up specimen, and maybe only recently arrived on these shores. More politely, I ought to call it 'well travelled' perhaps...

Convolvulus Hawk-moth

Just two (and a bit) months into my mothing career, and already the humble trap is graced with one of these awesome creatures. I feel very privileged.


It was not the only sphingid caught last night, but the Poplar Hawk-moth looked rather small in comparison.

At the other end of the scale was a diminutive pug which I initially called Wormwood. The Wormwood/Currant Pug challenge is fun, and invariably comes down to subtleties of wing shape as well as size and markings. Some time back I lifted a load of [expertly - and presumably correctly - identified] internet images of both species from the instructive Moth Dissection website, and constructed a collage. Generally I will photograph any that are not obviously Wormwood Pugs, then compare with the collage, thus...


On this basis, today's head-scratcher is actually a Currant Pug. It was quite a tiddler, so that makes sense. I do enjoy this kind of ID challenge, which feels perfectly doable. Unlike the 'gen. det.' jobs which necessitate microscopic examination of surgically removed bits of tiny tackle. Not for me thanks.

Currant Pug

Other ID challenges are provided by the regular micro-moths which come our way. Two from last night...

Otherwise known as Wainscot Smudge. A new one for us, but apparently very common.

In 2009 the Spindle Knot-horn was described as '...a suspected immigrant, transitory resident and rare resident' in Dorset. However, judging by the current Living Record maps, it seems fairly common now. I think this is our second.

One last moth. This is not the first Peach Blossom to decorate the NQS trap, but the previous example was so battered and worn that I couldn't bring myself to photograph it. I hope that one day we get a pristine fresh one (which this is not) because it clearly has the potential to be a stunning beauty...

Peach Blossom

6 comments:

  1. Great post Gav. Moths certainly have a range in all sorts of ways. From the micro and almost unidentifiable all the way to the Convolvulus 'rightus-between-the-eyeus', variety.
    Range? A coastal location must help. I imagine there's students of moths who inland have never had a Convolvulus in a decade of trapping. I can only imagine their delight at your good fortune 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Ric, I'm sure you're right about the benefits of our location near the coast. That was brought home to me by the obvious abundance of migrant species behind West Bexington beach last weekend. The potential here is excellent. 👍

      Delete
  2. What a moth, you are one lucky so and so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff Gav - Convolvulus Hawkmoths are fantastic moths and it's always a huge thrill to see one. Think I've only trapped one here in Exmouth, but remember finding a couple resting on the side of a hut up on Orcombe, and I once trapped one at my in-laws. Another great addition to your burgeoning garden list! N. angustella is always a good moth to get and Y. scabrella is one I'm not familiar with so can't be too common! Going back to your last post - Straw Underwing is a really good one - extremely difficult to get in Devon. I've only seen one - courtesy of Martin Wolinski, who trapped one in Kentisbeare. As for Marbled Beauty - a real 'bogey moth' for me - not seen one in 16 years of trapping and they're supposed to be pretty common!! All the best. Matt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, really appreciate your input. Mostly I have little idea of a moth's 'rarity value' until I check out the Dorset distribution 'heat maps' on Living Record. I've come to realise that a nationally common moth might be nothing of the sort locally, and have had plenty of nice surprises!

      Delete