Pages

Sunday 21 August 2022

In Praise of Vernacular

A quick circuit of Cogden this afternoon, searching for migrants. Slow going initially, with both Vanessa cardui and Nomophila noctuella definitely migrants, but not the ones I was after. Eventually I stumbled across a nice Phoenicurus phoenicurus, and soon added a single Phylloscopus trochilus and two Saxicola rubetra. Nice.

I am sure that some readers are not even slightly phased by the scientific names above, and can picture every species mentioned. Good for them. Me? I had to look each one up to ensure accuracy, because I never normally use them. I mean, why would I? I am not a naturalist in any professional sense, and have happily got by with vernacular names for six decades. In the rare event that I need a scientific name, it is just a reference book or mouse click away.

So what is all this nonsense with micro-moths?

I spent most of my walk pondering this question, which has vexed me mightily since starting down the Dark Path two months ago. Here's the thing...

Every macro-moth has a vernacular name in the English language. For example, Large Yellow Underwing. Generally speaking, the vernacular names are easy to remember because they consist of familiar words and, as in this case, many convey some obvious feature of the moth itself. The scientific name of Large Yellow Underwing is Noctua pronuba. My limited education suggests that Noctua has to do with night-time, but pronuba means nothing to me. Noctua pronuba is a name I would need to learn parrot-fashion, and would easily forget without constant repitition. Thankfully this is not a concern, because Large Yellow Underwing is the name that everyone uses.

But, not so with micros...

This morning I thought our run of at least one new moth every time was finally over. But no. Literally on the floor of the trap was one last moth. This one...

If I have identified it correctly, this is Agonopterix yeatiana.

According to Living Record, Agonopterix yeatiana has not been recorded in the Bridport area before, so this is a nice catch. Agonopterix yeatiana means 'small, spotted, pale grey jobbie, with which to grip off your Bridport mothy mates' and is much easier to remember than the vernacular name, Coastal Flat-body, which conveys no meaning at all, and is a pig to remember.

As a beginner, the most irritating issue about trying to learn a million new moths is the stupid insistence upon scientific names when it comes to the vast majority of micros. What is especially annoying is the fact that they all have a vernacular name, but mothy folk won't use them. Why not? Well...

If you visit Dorset Moths or Norfolk Moths, for example (both excellent websites) you will see that every micro is listed (and searchable) by both a scientific and vernacular name. These county moth websites were designed by a chap named Jim Wheeler, who also compiled a publication entitled Micro Moth Vernacular Names - A Nomenclatural Checklist of British Microlepidoptera. My tyro's understanding is that he came up with these names unilaterally - an act of 'hubris' as one mothy voice whom I respect has put it - and many long-time moth folk are decidedly unimpressed. So. There exists a full set of vernacular names for all these tricky micros but, when it comes to their adoption and use, there is...er...some controversy...

However, do I care?

Not one bit. I do not care how the vernacular names were arrived at. I do not care whether or not they are appropriate in every case. I do not care that they were essentially decided upon by one bloke rather than a committee. Do you hear me, moth people? I do not care.

What I care about is that 1,600+ micros have a name that I can easily learn and remember, and in most cases say out loud with confidence that I have the pronunciation correct.

I am heartened by the fact that my favourite micro book (Common Micro-moths of Berkshire, by Nick Asher) uses the new vernacular names, and look forward to increased acceptance by those who wish to smooth the path of newbies like me. I have wrestled with what my own approach ought to be, and have tried hard to learn the scientific names. Blog-wise I have swung between referencing both scientific and vernacular, and scientific only. But why make a challenge needlessly harder than it already is? From now on, vernacular only, and hang the consequences.

PS. Painted Lady, Rush Veneer, Redstart, Willow Warbler and Whinchat, in case you were wondering...

Phoenicurus phoenicurus, a nice 1st-winter male I think.

Saxicola rubetra

Saxicola rubetra x2, dreadful heat haze x1.

10 comments:

  1. A good post Gav. I have a problem with remembering names, two names is impossible. People I know through their forum names, then meet them and learn their real name = brain melt. Anything to make the identification of wildlife easier gets a big thumbs up from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I'm sure I was once much better at learning and storing new information. I doubt my age is helping... 🙄

      Delete
  2. Gav, This is only cos you are brand new. Back in the day you'd never heard of Pallas's Sandgrouse either but you didnt call it Orange spotty Thing as it was easier to remember!
    As it stands, I see a few blog posts with micro vernaculars on and I have no idea what is meant by it. I cant help the observer as I would need to look it all up and I havent time for that so when you say Agonopterix I can see instantly what the family looks like, maybe not the species as I'm not familiar with it. As for Coastal Flat Body? That could be anything? Someone sunbathing perhaps or a wasp in a cafe window...As you say, the macros have vernaculars commonly used but I can easily go between the two. I also find it much quicker to input into MapMate 'pronuba' than Large Yellow Underwing.Oh and what is it with Macros and Micros? We dont separate Goldcrests and Cormorants. To me they are all moths.
    So get to grip with your Tortrixes, Scoparias, and Gelechids and youll wonder what the fuss was all about. I'm starting to call Yellow bellied Sapsucker 'Mottled Woodpecker', its easier...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your thoughts, Stew, much appreciated. In the cold light of day most of this post is me venting my frustration at what feels like an insurmountable barrier. You're right, I will eventually learn this stuff. I just need a bit of patience.

      Delete
  3. Hi again Gav I forgot to add, I don't think the vernaculars by Wheeler are recognised by the 'authorities'?.
    For example the Micro Moth guide by Sterling Parsons and Lewington doesn't use them. The Chris Manley Guide to British Moths doesn't use them, UK Moths website doesn't nor does Nature Spot web page, Butterfly Conservation UK the recording body for lepidoptera doesn't use them, the Garden Moth Survey scheme doesn't and the mainly used recording data base for record submission to Moth Recorders 'MapMate' doesn't use them either. There are probably more examples than this.

    Even English vernaculars need to have some sort of standardised agreement for record submission to recorders I'd imagine. It would be no good sending in records of various vernaculars without the latin too, so its double the effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't sense that Wheeler's vernaculars have much (any?) support from the mothing 'authorities'. 'A better job may be done in due course', said one Twitter correspondent. But will it? First there needs to be a willingness to do so, and I don't sense much of that either...

      I would like to revisit this topic one day, because I genuinely feel that the lack of vernacular names is likely a barrier to wider take-up of micro-moth recording. Hopefully I will do so in a quieter, more nuanced fashion though. I don't mind getting the odd pithy put-down as a result of what I write on this blog, but don't usually aim to provoke them so clumsily. 😉

      Delete
  4. It's an interesting topic Gavin. Three & a bit years ago I was adamant that I wasn't going to go with this Latin-name nonsense, it would be English names all the way for me. Yet here we are, three years down the line, and I happily refer to tristella, geniculea, culmella and pascuella (I find I often don't worry too much about the first part of the name). Yes, I do refer to Codling, LBAM, Hawthorn Moth & Bird-cherry Ermine to name a few - so are these a few of the accepted new English names or are they traditional names that have persisted? TBH I have no idea & it's quite odd the way a few have accepted English names & many(most) aren't. Mind you, some of the English names are quite unwieldy(ugly?) - for instance I am much more comfortable with Carcina quercana than I am with Long-horned Flat Body!! However, go with what you can remember & are comfortable with, even if it does get you a few curious glances. Cheers Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mike, it's reassuring to realise how many have been through this already! Funny you should pick a lot of names I'm already familiar with; several tristella and geniculea in this morning's trap, plus a couple of LBAM. And likewise I am easier with Carcina quercana than the alternative mouthful!

      Delete
  5. I visualise a conference specifically aimed at micros. All authorities invited and dare I say? a chance for micros to receive an accepted name bar the Latin.
    Names proposed. Seconded. Voted upon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds a lot like democratic process, so I can't see that happening any time soon, Ric!

      Delete