Pages

Sunday 20 November 2022

Optimism

In the wake of the recent West Bay Barred Warbler, exactly one month ago today I wrote this:

'So, what next? Does the Bridport recording area have any more surprises up its autumn sleeve? I hope so.'

The answer was yes, and we didn't have to wait long. On November 2nd it all kicked off. Following a WhatsApp message from Mike Morse that 2 or 3 Leach's Petrels had passed West Bexington late that morning, an afternoon seawatch at West Bay produced at least 10, also a Little Gull. Three more Leach's the next day, plus adult Pom Skua and another Little Gull. November 9th: Sabine's Gull. A few days later, up at the vis-mig watch point...

Cirl Bunting is still a quality Dorset rarity.

And the previous morning, a flyover Richard's Pipit. I probably don't have to tell you how it felt to be out of action on babysitting duties last weekend...

Since then we've had 2 Purple Sandpipers back on the harbour wall rocks, a Great White Egret which I missed, and 2 Egyptian Geese which I didn't.

Okay, it might be stretching things to include Egyptian Geese with that lot, but they are locally scarce at least, and probably more so than GWE.

A nice list of excellent local quality, which for me all began with an optimistic seawatch. I really was not expecting to see any Leach's Petrels at all, let alone 10 or more, and am so glad I listened to the voice in my head which chivvied me into action. 'What are you waiting for?' it said. 'Mike and Alan have had Leach's off Bex! Get down that shelter ASAP!'

So, I'm idly scrolling through Twitter this evening and come across a seawatching report from Jersey. Apparently 8 Little Auks and 409 Little Gulls flew W past some place called Grosnez. 'Where's that?' I wondered...

There's Grosnez...and there's me, up at the blue spot. Okay...

And what's the weather doing tonight?

A whacking great band of rain moving in from the west, plus a 45+mph gusting SSE. Hmmm...

Sure enough, the wild optimist in my head was going off again. The last time I saw local Little Auks was about 16 years ago I think, and at least a couple of times I've seen them after playing a weather-based hunch. Mind you, when it comes to playing hunches, failure has featured way more often than success. Still...

There have been a good few Little Auks down the east coast today, and to know that some have made it as far south as the Channel Islands is very encouraging, and probably more than I can resist.

If I do respond to the early alarm call, and if I do see a Little Auk or two, please expect a triumphant blog post. However, if NQS activity is conspicuous by its absence tomorrow evening, I will probably be pondering the wise words of my beloved wife...

'See? That's the trouble with being an optimist. Whereas a realist is rarely disappointed.'

4 comments:

  1. You're lucky there Gav. I cannot imagine my wife saying, "I'd better join you tomorrow, otherwise you'll be depriving the cyber world of a blog post". 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I am ridiculously optimistic at times, and constantly disappointed. Sandra is the exact opposite. Realist is her word for it, but not mine!

      Delete
  2. a blog post with a cliff-hanger! Whatever next? Hope you scored!

    Col

    ReplyDelete