Pages

Sunday 4 December 2022

Asker Otter

In marked contrast to the previous month or so, this past week has been dry and calm. For me it has meant filling the daylight hours with work and little else, so yesterday afternoon I was like a dog off the leash, all bouncy and eager. But where to run?

The answer to that question would once have involved a drive of at least four or five miles, but not recently. Instead, I stepped out of the back door and walked to West Bay. The first half-mile takes me along a riverside path very popular with dog walkers. The River Asker at Happy Island is narrow, shallow and usually clear, with a small head of wild Brown Trout. There is much greenery, and a good mix of trees. Back in March, the Happy Island sallows held a Yellow-browed Warbler, an unseasonal treat which drew a steady stream of admirers. One or two I spoke to had remarked what a nice bit of habitat we have here. And they were right; we do. As I strolled the well-compacted, but uncharacteristically quiet path yesterday, that Yellow-browed came to mind, along with greedy thoughts of Pallas' Warbler and suchlike. Because yes, why not? An attractive bit of underwatched habbo, and surely home to the occasional such gem?

A loud 'plop' brought me back to reality, and a Kingfisher flew upstream towards and past me. The first I've seen here. Excellent. Nearing the end of the stretch, I approached a bend hidden from the main path. The afternoon's optimistic target was Dipper, and with the water level back down to normal after the bank-high, chocolate torrent of November, there were plenty of possible feeding spots. I should add that I have never seen Dipper here, but anyway...

Peering over the bank I spied a movement in the river, and instantly wished my approach had been more cautious. Unbelievably, right there below me in a few inches of water, an Otter was hurriedly swimming off downstream, a sizeable trout in its jaws! The river quickly deepened to maybe two feet, and the Otter dived. But it was still perfectly visible through the clear water, and I watched it surface and swim along the far bank, partially hidden by overhanging vegetation. Quickly I scurried downriver to a point where I could intercept the Otter when it emerged, prepping my camera en route. But sadly it never did. A few tell-tale ripples from beneath the tangled fringe, but all too soon there was no further sign. I assume it climbed out under cover of the far bank growth and found a quiet spot to consume its meal, away from prying lenses.

When it comes to the Happy Island walk, I can honestly say that Otter has never figured in my fantasy list of possibilities, not even remotely. And if I ever see another here, it will be sooner than expected. Absolute magic!

I had frittered a big chunk of daylight hoping the Otter would reemerge, so hurried on to West Bay pronto. Apart from a Chiffchaff, no other notable birds. No sign of any Purple Sandpipers on the harbour wall, nor of the Black Redstart, but it was good to see a few gulls having a pre-roost wash in the river. Plenty coming and going too. Their numbers may always be modest, but one day this lot are going to produce something special...

Late afternoon gulls on the Brit at West Bay. Always worth a look.

This smart 2nd-winter Med Gull was the classiest offering yesterday.

I've seen photos of both Glaucous and Iceland Gull at West Bay, and have managed adult Yellow-legged myself. Surely it is only a matter of time before the first West Bay Casp...or better.

The walk home was enlivened by a Goosander flying down the valley from Bridport, and apparently plonking onto the river near the West Bay Spar shop, plus another Kingfisher (or the same one?) just above Morrisons. I can see these semi-urban location references becoming more frequent on this blog. Supermarkets especially. Lidl and Co-op are just down the road...

Back in March, you may recall a post which reported on this event...


In his talk, Tom Brereton observed that although a good number of birders live in the Bridport recording area, mostly they leave it to go birding. At the time, that certainly was true of me. Slowly but surely though, I have been swayed. West Bay has wooed me with its tacky charm and some really excellent birds. Recent local walks have been unexpectedly productive, with Dipper, and now Otter. And, underpinning it all, I am well aware that the Bridport recording area includes a lot of great habitat, beautifully situated on an underwatched stretch of the south coast. The big 'P'. Potential.

I wouldn't say that this morning's quick visit to West Bay proved any points, but at least one Purple Sandpiper showed itself. Also, though my habitual check of the harbour failed to reveal any errant Little Auks, there was this...

West Bay goodie - a nice drake Wigeon...

...and a context shot.

Yep, this blog is going to look a bit different next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment