Pages

Monday 2 January 2023

Not a Sprint

Yesterday was a birding write-off, so today was precious. Sunny, very little breeze, not too cold, an absolute delight to be out and about. Morning on the West Bay patch, home for lunch and then out again, this time into the wilds of Bridport North. Loved it!

Although the aim of Patchwork Challenge is to see as many species as possible, I decided ages ago not to get hung up on numbers. A 12-month effort is not a sprint. I had a few target species in mind today, but promised myself to be happy with whatever came along. How did it go?

The major part of a 110-strong Lapwing flock just N of West Bay.

The harbour's resident Wigeon still here, apparently paired with a female Mallard now.

A Rock Pipit on a rock.

A single, very welcome Kittiwake remaining from recent stormier times.

The female-type Black Redstart relishing a bit of sunshine.

I walked over to Eype, and this is the view W from the car park. I'm told that the clifftop chalet there was the location of a murder in the original edition of Broadchurch.

An old friend. Hadn't seen this 2nd-winter Med Gull for a long time, so it was a pleasure to encounter it on the river today.

West Bay at 12:45. Cogden Beach, it is not. Yet there are birds a-plenty...

I couldn't find any Purple Sandpipers, but my two other target species - Black Redstart and Cetti's Warbler - were present and correct. According to eBird I walked 9 miles for my 48 species this morning. A few of those miles were contributed by my visit to Eype, a small village strung along a valley running down to the coast about a mile west of West Bay. My plan was to dig out a Firecrest. As I have seen just one Firecrest there, ever, this was a bit optimistic, to say the least. Still, nothing ventured...

I checked out every promising bit of habitat I came across, and amazingly a Firecrest popped out at the second spot I checked. A bit brief, so no photos, but wow! Encouraged by this, I tried the same trick this afternoon, and found two together just a few minutes walk from home! I really was not expecting to get Firecrest on both Patchwork Challenge lists quite so easily...

Well, hello...

According to Google Maps, this spanking Firecrest was just 460m from my front door.

Of course, this success has got me wondering just how many Firecrests might be in residence locally. Obviously I will have to find out.

I tried one of the spots where I recently saw Dipper, but no sign. Still, a very enjoyable 5.5 miles for 27 species. Apart from the Firecrests, no surprises.

This attractive old building featured in this afternoon's amble around Bridport North. And, right there on the apex, four beautiful Feral Pigeons...

One issue I have always had with listing of any kind is the murky depths which it forces one to plumb. I mean, Feral Pigeon. Yuk. I'm not sure if they are countable in the Patchwork Challenge, and will have to check, but in truth I hope not. Mind you, I feel pretty much the same about Pheasant. Thankfully I didn't have to tick Pheasant today, as I saw none on either patch. This winter's shooters must have been thorough...

So it's been a lovely day. That there are more local Firecrests about than I imagined is just one lesson of three that I have learned recently. The other two are connected with one of my other hobbies: writing.

Firstly, if you aim to pen a candid memoir of your antics in birding and life, consider very, very carefully how you word it. Twitter has recently been quite clear on how not to do so.

Secondly, if an authoritative avifauna is your intention, bear in mind that posterity will be your judge, and do it properly. I currently have a brief to review one (recently published) and my disappointment is off the scale. Not sure how I am going to write something that will be fair, honest and...er...kind.

If some of that was a bit cryptic, I'm sorry. More anon...

10 comments:

  1. Gav, an on-line sage mentioned some rules of posting which has saved me from all sorts of agro. 1. Is it true? 2. Is there a moral aspect involved? 3.Will it help? Based on these criteria, my postings in another field have been reduced to zero. Then again, we're talking about the issue of imparting great knowledge and wisdom to dullards and dolts 🙄
    As for your review? Honesty and integrity is everything. But if agonising over how to broach the subject? Just compare the third parties offerings with some of your own and just call them s**t! Saves time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. Yes, I can imagine there is plenty of sensible advice out there for budding authors. If I'm ever tempted to venture beyond a blog I shall investigate...

      Delete
  2. Ah yes, how to read the room in 2022...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to disappoint, but Feral Pig and Pheasant both count...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I discovered last night, thanks Alistair. 👍 Ah well...

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year Gav! Right I couldnt enjoy your Firecrests for Broadchurch! Yes! Pauline Quirke lived in that house in your shot!! I'd twitch that personally... ;)
    Right back to the job, that last Firecrest shot is a belter, I can just imagine it popping out.
    Feral Pigeon is infinitely more tickable than some species on the British list including Pheasants ( 99% annually introduced, not many breed) same for Red legs and as for Lad Amhersts dont get me started! One bloke said he has ticked it as it is not a proven escape. Where the hell did he think it came from? That and a casual twitchers take on life, leave a bad taste when looking at Birding 2022 style...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Cheers Stew, if you're a Broadchurch fan you'll love West Bay! Never seen the series myself, but I understand the local area is peppered with filming locations. 😊

      Down here, even the very occasional Grey Partridge will likely be a bird released for shooting. Personally I would be quite happy never to see another Pheasant.

      Delete
  5. Real birding and twitching 2022/23 style is counting birds seen on phone, TV, Laptop or PC as 'ticks' if identified before being told. Keeps the carbon footprint down and bank account (if any) solvent.

    ReplyDelete