Pages

Wednesday 19 July 2023

More Than Just Moths

Despite the best of intentions, birding remains firmly on the back burner just now. I did make an effort early this morning and had a mooch around West Bay for half an hour, but there was absolutely zero inspiration on land or sea. Still, autumn will be here all too soon, and good birds a-plenty I'm sure.

Meanwhile, of course...

Yes, I am well aware that NQS has become little more than a garden moth diary, and it must be a bit trying for long-suffering readers uninterested in the things. But, sadly, I have got it bad. And these mothy posts, with the photos and brief notes, has definitely helped the learning process. So, I'm afraid there will be many more in this vein.

Monday night, 17th July

83 moths of 44 species. One new for year and garden.

The sugaring list gained a quality addition...

A very fresh-looking Old Lady. Stewart Sexton's mix going down a treat! This one was photographed on Monday night; last night there were two!

Between 23/8 and 10/9 last year we recorded Old Lady four times (five moths in total) but I am not sure whether any of them were actually in the trap. This year we got an early Old Lady on 24th June, and that one definitely wasn't. It was resting on the garage wall, several feet from the trap. I understand there are other species which might not be that strongly drawn to light, including the Red/Crimson Underwing group of moths, and I would like to think that the sweet, sweet fence posts might pull in one or more of their number. We shall see...

A common moth, but this is a lovely example: Ruby Tiger.

In 2022 we recorded this species on 11 occasions. So far this year, just twice. By way of comparison, the Ringed China-mark tally already stands at 50 this year.

The dullest of 'little brown jobs', but new for the garden. Its vernacular name says it all. Evidently christened with love. Not.

Tuesday night, 18th July

110 moths of 50 species. Four new for year, of which two new for garden.

A common moth, but virtually all the Bright-line Brown-eyes caught so far have been rather worn, and hardly worth a pic. This one is better than most, so here we go.

Engrailed is seemingly a moth at low density locally. We caught three last year, and this is the first of 2023.

I wonder how many of these I have overlooked? Very similar to the ubiquitous Mint Moth Pyrausta aurata. I ought to do a comparison collage, perhaps. But then again, perhaps I haven't overlooked it, and have simply misidentified a Mint Moth here?! Moths. Loads of fun.

Couldn't resist including this superb Scorched Carpet.

A characterful 5mm addition to the garden list. Apparently common, but zero Bridport area dots on Living Record, and only ten or so locations county-wide.

We've had this one a few times, but nice to get a photo showing the distinctive coppery fringe.

Next, a couple of photos of the garden's second Phyllocnistis saligna of 2023. This 3.5mm tiddler is listed as 'Local', so I wouldn't expect to see millions of dots on the Dorset Living Record map. But, as mentioned in the previous post, there are just five. Five dots, representing 10 records, and two of those are from our garden in 2022. Add another two this year, and we apparently are responsible for a third of the county's recent records. I find this hard to believe. Presumably, Phyllocnistis saligna is massively under-recorded.

Couldn't be trusted outside the pot!


Finally, another new moth for the garden...

One of those moths where size matters. With a wing slightly >11mm, and markings and flight time seemingly typical of the species, I am pleased to say this tricky moth has had the official nod...

Designated a 'Local' species, Scoparia basistrigalis appears to be thinly distributed in Dorset, with few sites showing more than a record or two on the Living Record map, and none in the Bridport area.

Finally, finally...

No, of course there is more to NQS these days than just moths. Painted Lady, through the window just now.

7 comments:

  1. Moth blogging? Interesting enough for me Gav, variety being what it is. Readers should be thankful they aren't reading a blog on my exploits. They'd be bored to tears. On the bike for me. Strava indicates over 500 hours this year alone. How about 3 hours per day average for 100 days? Yes, riveting having to view that 🙄 not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blimey Ric! 😲

      Mind you, with all those miles in the bank I reckon you'd really enjoy some of the evil West Dorset hills I used to suffer on! 😄

      Delete
  2. Moths is OK with me 😀 I can see I'll have to buy a camera with good macro capabilities though. Borkhausenia fuscescens is beyond the reach of my phone's camera ☹️ On a related subject, which sweep-net did you go for? I'm looking at the 'beginner' option, which I assume will do for garden and maybe my local reserve?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike. My net is a round, collapsible job (18" I think) with a deep, white net (too deep, possibly!) and a screw-on handle of 18" or 2ft. Unfortunately I cannot recommend it, due to loose rivets by the threaded boss which are eager to fall out at the slightest provocation. Shoddy. I've had to cover them with tape to prevent their loss. However, size-wise it's perfect. 😊

      Delete
    2. Thanks Gav. I'll try and avoid that one!!

      Delete
  3. I enjoy the moths Gav and the birds will return. It's you I worry about, what if you start star gazing and never sleep again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! As I've said before about many things that have subsequently happened: it's never going to happen! 😄

      Delete