Pages

Sunday 30 July 2023

The 'Expert'

'And when it pauses, it'll usually wag its tail a couple of times', I said.

Right on cue, the Common Sandpiper, a bit distant and silhouetted against the light, briefly paused and wagged its tail.

'Oh yes, so it does! Look at that!'

And I knew that this tiny nugget of information was now stored away, ready for intant recall when the situation demanded.

Explaining how some birds have little idiosyncracies that help identify them even when views are less than ideal is all part and parcel of my new(ish) role as a guide on the Seaton Birdwatching Tram. And I love it. Sharing this kind of stuff with an appreciative audience is very rewarding. However, for me the best moment of yesterday evening's jaunt began with a beautifully-timed question about Axe Estuary Barn Owls (thank you, Mark!) which I was just about to answer with some waffle about their rather up-and-down fortunes locally, when I remembered Adrian Norcombe's box!

Several years ago, a local landowner thoughtfully installed a Barn Owl box in a tree on the Axmouth side of the valley, and at this very moment we were almost opposite it. So I pointed it out. As the first of our group found it in their bins, someone said, 'Oh, is there something in it?' And yes, there was! A long way off, but confirmed by the camera, a Barn Owl was in residence, nicely lit by the evening sun...

Adrian Norcombe's box, and current resident.

Prior to the evening tram trip, I did a little homework. I wanted to have some idea what was about, hoping there might be some goodies to look out for later. In addition to confirming the continued presence of the local celebrity Avocet family, a quick visit to Black Hole Marsh provided a couple of nice waders too...

Turnstone is a good bird for the Axe Estuary.

Little Ringed Plover is regular, but it was good to know that this juv was present.

In the event, we saw just the LRP from the tram, superbly spotted by one of the group. Again, views were a bit silhouetted, but it was nice to point out how the slim, attenuated rear end helps separate LRP from Ringed Plover.

The young Avocets are pretty large now. Here are two of them, with an adult...

The juv Avocets are just 34 days old.

Sometimes the 'expert' is wrong of course. Someone asked about our chances of Snipe. 'No', I said, 'It's a bit early for Snipe. They'll start to arrive next month.'

I wish I'd said, 'Slim.'

About ten minutes later, at Colyford Marsh scrape, someone called 'Snipe!'

Hmmm...

Two Snipe. Way too early, if you ask me.

We saw loads of stuff, including three Kingfishers - always a crowd-pleaser - and ten species of wader, and enjoyed the amazing atmosphere provided by the sunlit scenery and its haunting soundtrack of Curlew calls. Just brilliant.

One of several Lapwings.

A nicely-lit Greenshank. There were several of these too.

Naturally, no current NQS post would be complete without a moth or two. No trapping last night though. Too busy babysitting in Lyme Regis, and sleeping for England. Friday night? Yes, Friday night...


Friday night, 28th July

72 moths of 39 species was a fairly slim return, and there was just one new for year, a Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing. It escaped without a photo, but there will be many more to play with. There was a very nice 'first for the trap' though...

A fabulous Hornet. Photographed in situ, clinging to the underside of the trap funnel. It was very docile, and allowed me to transfer it to the wildlife hedge without fuss.

Blair's Mocha #14 for 2023.

A common migrant, this is our third of the year. In 2022 we trapped the species on 17 nights, all singles.

Right, I'd better get the trap out...

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a rather successful diversion from the 'dark arts' Gav. I can just imagine the delight of your crew at seeing the Barn Owl in it's box. It's an iconic bird along with Kingfisher.
    Though I'm not about to get going in the Moth sphere, yet, I can say with some confidence, that thanks to you, I can ID a Blair's Mocha. Possibly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barn Owl was definitely a winner, Ric. Great value!

      I don't know the status of Blair's Mocha in NW London, but suspect that if you get a chance to test out your new-found ID skills, you'll have local rarity on your hands! 😄

      Delete
  2. Steady boy. The difference between finishing a guided session as a hero or a mug can be a fine line ;o) Gotta love a hornet though, unusually I've had a few in the garden this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re the fine line: a very good point. The voice of experience, I'm guessing, so I'll try and remember that...

      Hornet is a garden rarity here. I can only think of one or two others. Superb creatures.

      Delete