Pages

Wednesday 18 September 2024

Autumn Glory

Current birdy talk is all about Scandinavian Highs and really easterly easterlies, and exactly when we might expect them to deliver the goods. My outlook is too coloured by countless damp squibs to get excited about it, but if there are indeed goods to be delivered, I want some. And if I get some, well, I'd better clear the NQS material backlog in order to make room...

Saturday morning was my third Seaton Birdwatching Tram of the autumn. Kick-off was at 08:30, so I headed to Black Hole Marsh first thing to see if there was anything I needed to know about for later...

Juv Ringed Plover. Only 07:20, but almost frame-filling views plus momentarily stationary subject meant the P950 could do a pretty decent job. The Island Hide is great for wader pics, and was empty at that time.

Juv Dunlin ditto.

This lone and slightly demented Cattle Egret dropped in at 07:27.

Arty shot. Five Cattle Egrets S over Black Hole Marsh as I was leaving at 08:00. For me the species has not quite lost that novelty feel. But then I don't live near the Somerset Levels!

The Birdwatching Tram was brilliant. Among 54 species seen or heard were Osprey, Cattle Egret, Kingfisher, Water Rail and Bar-tailed Godwit, plus a host of back-ups. We saw two Ospreys, one of which repeatedly failed to catch a fish despite several attempts. This meant it was on view for a lengthy period. Not great for the Osprey, but excellent for a tram-full of birdwatchers.

I got lots of tenth-rate, back-lit photos...

A juv Osprey, but missing a primary from its right wing. As I type, I believe this bird is currently on the Otter at Budleigh Salterton, several miles to the west.



One of the Ospreys had a favoured perch some way north of our location, towards the coast road...

Axe Osprey giving us the eye. To give perspective to this shot, the car is almost 400m beyond the bird!

In the afternoon I gave Cogden a bash. The migrant tally as follows: 12 Chiffs, 4 Blackcaps, 2 Wheatears, 2 Spotted Flycatchers, a Whinchat and a Whitethroat. The highlight was my first Merlin of the year. It zipped by at waist height and point-blank range, before curling over the coastal ridge and away. For a change, this Merlin was in view long enough for me to get a photo-opp. It is small, unsharp, and its pixels are few, but I am pretty certain this is the first flight shot of a Merlin that I've ever managed, so the blog is getting it...

Juv Merlin over the coastal ridge at Cogden.

Sunday morning, Cogden again: 11 Chiffs, 2 Wheatears (the same two, almost certainly) and a Whitethroat. The morning's surprise was a Sedge Warbler at the back of the beach, amazingly my first of the autumn. But that's what happens if you don't go birding in August.

The relative direness on the passerine front got me on the beach again. Very few gulls, and zero interest there, but 32 Cormorants (30W plus 2 on the beach) was nice. Honestly. Especially seeing as I was blessed with the happy occurence of side-by-side sinensis and carbo on the shingle. An excellent photo-opp...

P. c. carbo on the left, P. c. sinensis on the right.

I have wittered on far too often about gular pouch angles and whatnot but, as well as that feature, in these two birds you can see a difference in structure too, with sinensis having an obviously slimmer, lighter build. Having said that, I am pretty sure all Cormorants vary a lot in size and beefiness. Still...

'Continental' Cormorant P. c. sinensis.

P. c. carbo

Apart from my first effort on 6th September, Cogden walks have felt relatively migrant free. A bit depressing really, because what you want at this time of year is the exact opposite. Actually, not just what you want, rather what you expect. So, ever the optimist, another bash before work on Monday...

26 Chiffs, 12 Blackcaps, 8 Whitethroats, 3 Whinchats, a Wheatear and a Spot Fly. Better - and it did feel like there had been a tiny arrival, with several birds along or close to the coast path - but definitely not fireworks. However, by far the most exciting event of the morning involved a breeding species. For me, Cirl Bunting has featured once so far this autumn at Cogden, a single juvenile. On Monday morning I saw seven! Judging by my ropey photos, taken at considerable range, the tally was 2 males, 4 females and a juv. Absolutely fantastic! I shan't saddle this blog with all that ropiness, but here's the juv...

Juv Cirl Bunting looking a bit gormless...

...and less so.

In the latter shot the Cirl is calling. I have taken to carrying my recorder with me on recent outings, in anticipation of overflying Dotterels and the like, with the little external microphone clipped to my shoulder strap. It did a fine job of picking up the Cirl Bunting's call. I of course could hear nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment