Pages

Friday 6 September 2024

A Few Migrants

According to BirdTrack, the last time I visited Cogden was nearly six weeks ago, on July 29th. Pretty pathetic, but sounds about right. I noted just three birds. All fly-bys, all photographed...

Cogden goodies from July 29th: Marsh Harrier, Oystercatcher and Curlew.

Evidently there were no passerines worth mentioning, and as I managed almost zero birding through August it is no surprise that I made it to now without seeing even a Wheatear or Willow Warbler since the spring. Even by my standards that is bad. So, with work rained off, today was going to be the day to rectify such neglect.

It was dull and still at Cogden this morning, with a virtually flat-calm sea. Clearly there had been an overnight arrival, with lots of flitting and flicking and diving for cover along the coast path behind the beach. The final tally was 30 Chiffs, 10 Whitethroats, 8 Blackcaps, 4 Lesser Whitethroats, 3 Willow Warblers, an excellent total of 12 Whinchats, 6 Wheatears, a Spotted Flycatcher and a heard-only Ringed Plover. The obvious highlight was a Grasshopper Warbler which showed briefly and called loudly several times. I am pretty sure that's the first time I've heard a Gropper calling. It sounded like a Robin on steroids!

My first Wheatear-on-a-fence-post shot for a while.

Serious eyebrows. Juv Whinchat.


Spotted Flycatcher in the coast path vegetation.

Gorgeous juv Willow Warbler.

So, nothing dramatic, but a nice selection of regular migrants. My Wryneck radar was turned right up, to no avail of course. Still, it certainly felt quite birdy this morning, like something might happen any second, and that's a feeling I've not had for a long time. And very nice it was.

Early last year I wrote a post about the Great Fall of September 1965. Not quite 60 years ago, half a million migrants dropped on a 24-mile stretch of the Suffolk coast, making very special memories for a fortunate few. I think I am safe in saying that such a thing could never happen now, no matter how propitious the weather. There simply are not enough birds any more. Just recently I have seen a number of comments from long-time birders based in various locations, noting the lamentable dearth of migrants each year, and how it ain't getting any better. I take it the birds are no longer coming in the numbers of yore because they no longer exist in the numbers of yore. My outing this morning was enlivened by the overnight arrival of around 75 small birds, which is actually a soberingly small number to get excited about. That said, there were also hundreds of hirundines moving steadily through, but they don't count because they don't skulk in bushes, looking rare.

When the rain stopped this afternoon I ventured out again. Much, much quieter, but one really nice prize...

Juvenile Cirl Bunting


It is so good to know that Cirls have successfully bred locally once again. So it's not all doom and gloom.

2 comments:

  1. I think it all falls back to the lack of insect life Gav. I drove 140 miles back from Poole yesterday and one sizable bug splatted on the windscreen, the few others that needed the washers were all very small. Not so long ago the screen would have been thick with them. We need to begin at the bottom end of the food chain and the larger stuff will return.

    Well done on your Grasshopper Warbler, that was a glaring blank in your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave. Yes, I'm sure you're right and there is be a link between declining bird and insect populations. Pretty grim really.

      Delete