Pages

Monday 14 October 2024

The Fire-capped Prince

Cogden has been amazingly good for Firecrests lately. A total of 16 bird-days for me in the first two weeks of October, and a surprising peak count of five. A few have been cooperative enough to allow photos. So this post is just an excuse to trot out my favourite recent Firecrest pics, all taken this month; it has no other purpose whatsoever.

Incidentally, the scientific name for Firecrest - Regulus ignicapillus - apparently means fire-capped (literally, fire-haired) prince. Appropriate.










2 comments:

  1. Brilliant pics Gav. A real Firefest. Dare I admit it? A Firecrest is almost certainly the very first bird I was ever aware of seeing. When one of these gems appears at a range of about three feet (Chorleywood Common), right under your barely four year old nose. It burns a memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can well imagine! They may be more common these days, but I never tire of seeing them. 😍

      Delete