Pages

Friday, 6 June 2025

Normal Service Resumed

Most of this blog's very few 2025 posts have been about little more than the moths I've seen and the birds I haven't. Normally they attract a modest readership and negligible response on social media. The last post was very different, and appears to have struck a chord. Good. At some point I shall follow it up with more in that vein. Meanwhile, in case you haven't come across the post before and are interested in knowing how many birds were around when I was six years old, try this: The Great Fall.

So, back to moths and no birds...

May 30th

A couple of nice moths...

Second Peach Blossom of the year, and another nice one. Gorgeous.

Triple-spotted Nest Moth Tinea trinotella. Had a handful of these.

For some reason the above micro is one of the trickiest species to photograph. They are just so antsy. I think this is the first one I've managed to get decent pics of. The trick was chilling it to exactly the correct degree - which I managed by fluke not calculation - and then barely breathing.

June 2nd

A few bits from a walk around Cogden...

Female Broad-bodied Chaser, my first this year.

Male Beautiful Demoiselle. A ridiculous colour.  

Caterpillar of Depressaria daucella (vernacular now Water-dropwort Brown) which is much more colourful than its adult stage.

Adult stage of the above caterpillar, trapped in the garden Feb 2023. Dingy Flat-body is more an insult than a name.

June 3rd

More moths...

Middle-barred Minor. Only our second I think.

Ash Bud Moth Prays fraxinella

Composite pic of two Foxglove Pugs. Always welcome.

June 5th

Highlight of an afternoon walk at Cogden...

Small Eggar caterpillars. I have never knowingly seen the adult moth, which fly around February/March time. 

The larval web, on a rather denuded bit of Blackthorn.

The moth trap was out last night, and I plucked this striking little micro of the vanes prior to bed-time...

Maple Snout Anarsia innoxiella

Thus far not a common moth in Dorset, with about 15 records on the Living Record map, and I'm not sure whether Devon has had any at all yet. However, it is spreading this way from further east, so will no doubt become a more regular customer. The Maple Snout's interesting story HERE. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.