Pages

Tuesday, 1 July 2025

A Very Mothy June

Judging by all the exclamation marks and 'best ever' this and that comments on social media, I am guessing that 2025 has so far been an exceptionally rewarding year for moth folk. My very limited experience suggests likewise. My fitful efforts last year yielded 20 new species for the garden (NFG) whereas the first six months of 2025 have already increased the garden list by 38, including three last night...

NFG

Lunar-spotted Pinion. Not common locally - just six Bridport area records on the Living Record map - and wasn't on my radar. Initially I had no idea what it was.

Marbled White Spot. Caught one in our son's Lyme Regis garden last year, so I recognised it. Probably a bit overdue. Certainly there are several Bridport records.

Marbled White Spot, side view.

Ribwort Stilt Aspilapteryx tringipennella. I do like the stilt moths, so it was pleasing to see a new one. Discovered as I was releasing the night's catch this morning. My bleary eyes had failed to spot this tiny sliver of a moth when processing the trap first thing.

There were also a few nice migrants. I wonder how much longer they'll be around, and when/whether we will have another arrival...

 

Migrants

In addition to the migrants depicted below, the last two nights have also produced two or three Diamond-backs and European Corn-borers...

Bordered Straw #6 for 2025. The previous three seasons have produced just four, all in 2022.

Rusty-dot Pearl Udea ferrugalis. A regular here, but I don't think we've had any others so far this year.

First Dark Sword-grass of 2025, trapped Sunday night. A regular migrant, though we don't see them often. Maybe four or five a year?

The fourth Small Marbled of 2025. Without doubt an exceptional influx of this species. Many long-time moth recorders are getting their first for the garden.

So that leaves the also-rans. Last night especially was another busy trap, with quality in spades...

 

Also-rans

First Canary-shouldered Thorn of the year last night. A beautiful moth.

Canary-shouldered Thorn, alternative view.

First Marbled Green of 2025. Despite the name, they're not always green.

The Coronet is fairly common here, but the deep, dark greens and purples on this individual made it well worth a snap.

Eyed Hawk-moth. Just wonderful! I think this is our third of the year. Which is roughly what we usually get.

The garden's second Slender Brindle. And this time I managed not to discard it with the Common Rustic aggs.

Another Sunday night moth - our second Mullein Wave. Not uncommon locally.

Hoary Tortrix Eucosma cana. Just because.

Thistle Marble Lobesia abscisana. Not loads of records locally (think I've had three now) so a nice catch.

Gold Triangle Hypsopygia costalis is a little beauty. It occasionally rests with its wings open, so I was very chuffed to get this pic, despite the plastic pot lid showing well!

Large Tabby Aglossa pinguinalis x2. Not especially common in Dorset, with just three Bridport area records on the Living Record map currently. We have had about six now, so I'm not sure what the attraction is. The larvae have sheep poo on their menu, but it definitely is not that...

Water Veneer Acentra ephemerella. The scientific name is very appropriate, because ephemeral they certainly are. We've had this species several times - occasionally in numbers - and very few of them last the night. This one was moribund.

Back when I was just a birder, June was a killer month. Now that moths are on the agenda, June is still a killer month, but for a different reason. I am currently reading a book about sleep, and if I was to limit myself to one take-away point so far, it is this: DO NOT compromise on sleep, because doing so will give you all sorts of health issues and shorten your life.

So, one more trap. Then a few nights off, and a lot of sle-e-e-e-ep... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.