Pages

Friday, 10 October 2025

A Flavour of Things to Come

Too many stressful weeks finally came to an end on Monday, 22nd September when we moved into our new home in Axminster. Birding time has been in short supply, but with old East Devon haunts just down the road, well...

Monochrome Greenshank at Black Hole Marsh, on the Seaton Wetlands.

Ridiculously good views of waders were a rare thing in West Dorset, so the Seaton Wetlands have been fun...

Little Stint

Curlew Sandpiper

That first visit was notable not just for quality waders, but also 3 Great White Egrets, Barn Owl, Marsh Harrier, and this...

This Glossy Ibis flew up and down the valley a couple of times, before heading off south.

Evening visits have been enjoyable, with many birds and few people. Picking through the gulls has yet to yield a Caspian Gull for me, but other esoteric interests have been catered for...

A bunch of 20-odd Cormorants in front of the Tower Hide produced this sinensis ('Continental') bird, the first really convincing individual I've encountered on the Axe.

I was quite sure that all the others were obvious carbo Cormorants, but checking through the pics I spotted this one sneaking in to the frame on the right. I hadn't noticed it at the time. Just look at the difference in bill sizes on those birds! The original sinensis is on the left at the back.

That particular evening there were also 2 Marsh Harriers, a pair of Gadwall and 4 Goosanders...

I've had the occasional Goosander or two on the Axe, but I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've seen four together.

​One local spot I was keen to revisit was Beer Head, and this morning I made it happen.

Overcast and dull, with the lightest northerly breeze, there was almost nothing moving overhead. But there was a Wheatear by the clifftop, as well as 20+ Chiffs and 3 Blackcaps in the bushes. Better still, I had fleeting views of a very pale and interesting bird which looked a good candidate for Siberian Chiffchaff. Eventually it gave itself up - albeit at some range - and I got a handful of ropey pics...

A bit over-exposed, but clearly 'pale and interesting'.

Rear view.

Colour/tone-wise, probably the most representative shot.

Composite image, with collybita Chiff on the left.

Anyway, I'm having it. As far as I'm concerned that is a Siberian Chiffchaff, and one of the very, very few I've seen away from various Water Treatment Works!

A few more shots from Beer Head...

When I was last an East Devon resident 10+ years ago, the iconic 'Old Lookout' was virtually derelict. It has since had a massive face-lift and is now a fancy - and no doubt expensive - holiday let.

Wheatear, fence post. A necessary photo.

...and again.

So there we are. A flavour of things to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.