Autumn is a flexible thing. Astronomically, autumn begins shortly after
midnight tonight, though meteorologically it's been in full swing since
September 1st. Birders have been enjoying so-called autumn passage - or a lack
of it - since...well...probably late July. So, take your pick. One thing is
certain though: it is exactly one year to the day that we moved into this
house in Axminster, and September 22nd in 2025 was actually autumn in every
sense. I was a bit preoccupied with other stuff last year, so there wasn't
much birding, and moths didn't really get a look-in until mid/late October.
2026 has been very different, especially on the moth front. So, this post aims
to address at least a small part of the significant backlog of NQS material
taking up space on the laptop, with special emphasis on autumn...in its most
flexible sense.
Bird of the Autumn
No contest here. Red-necked Phalarope is a Devon rarity, and a species
I haven't seen since an autumn juvenile at Stockers Lake, Herts in August
1995. At the time I lived just ten minutes walk away from Stockers, but
Blackhole Marsh on the Seaton Wetlands is about five miles from home. Even so,
I was down there like a shot, within just...er...nine hours of the initial
report. Well worth the rush...
|
|
Juvenile Red-necked Phalarope on Blackhole Marsh, 24th August.
|
A proper little character. My first Red-necked Phalarope was a
breeding-plumage female on the north basin of Staines Res in June 1983. There
haven't been many others in the interim, and I expect this one will have to
last me a while too.
The 'smart wader' theme was reprised a fortnight later...
|
|
Juvenile Pectoral Sandpiper, again at Blackhole Marsh, Seaton
|
I've taken the opportunity to have a mooch around Cogden once or twice when
I've been over that way, and bagged a few Redstarts, Whinchats,
Tree Pipits and whatnot, but my heart isn't really in the birding at
the moment. There's no denying that Seaton Wetlands is doing the do just now,
but mostly I am put off by its popularity and the consequent numbers of
people.
A few more bird pics before the moths muscle in...
After a trip to the Seaton Tesco one day in late August I stopped by the
estuary to check the gulls. Steve was already there, doing just that, and had
turned up two Casps!
|
|
Casp 1 - a nice juv.
|
Before I'd finished with Casp 1, the whole lot flew, flushed by an
Osprey. It looked like my unbroken record of at least a record shot of
every Caspian Gull I've ever seen was doomed. However, not so...
|
|
As Casp 1 takes to the air, Casp 2 is just coming into
shot from the right. Complete fluke!
|
|
|
Casp 2 was a 2cy bird with interesting bleaching or leucism on
some flight feathers. The back end of Casp 1 exits stage left.
|
I'm pretty sure I've never seen an autumn Caspian Gull before
September, but this was August 29th. The Osprey responsible for their
departure circled overhead briefly...
|
|
Comfortably the best Osprey pic I've ever managed.
|
|
|
Late-August Spotted Flycatcher at Cogden
|
|
|
August 25th. Cogden looking very, very dry and crispy.
|
Moths
Because I've been keeping a spreadsheet I can tell you that our little bucket
trap has pulled in upwards of 11,250 moths so far this year. Among that lot
was a first for Devon - Langmaid's Yellow Underwing - as featured in
the previous post. The Langmaid's tally is now three, with two more
added on August 19th. In the month or so since then the trap's contents have
taken on an increasingly autumnal flavour. One species that I associate with
autumn proper is Lunar Underwing. It was very much a September moth
back in Bridport, with up to 69 at a time in a night's catch. I didn't have to
wait until September to catch one here...
|
|
August 22nd, and Lunar Underwing makes an entrance.
|
I had no idea what was coming. Last night's catch included 234
Lunar Underwings! Have they peaked, I wonder?!
Anyway, mostly the moth jollies have been about the migrants and the
scarcities, and the many and various beauties...
|
|
Four-spot Dot Bohemannia quadrimaculella. 11 Devon records to the end of 2025. We've had two now, this one on
August 4th
|
|
|
Four-spot Dot up close - 3.5mm of iridescent beauty.
|
|
|
Saltmarsh Knot-horn Ancylosis oblitella. A presumed migrant in Devon, with 13 records up to the end of 2025.
This was our first, on August 3rd. We've had four now!
|
|
|
Twin-spot Plume Stenoptilia bipunctidactyla, our 2nd of three. Just ten Devon records up to the end of 2025.
|
|
|
Marbled Yellow Pearl Evergestis extimalis. A new moth for me. With only 28 Devon records up to the end of 2025,
and almost all along the S coast, I'm guessing a probable migrant.
|
|
|
Narrow-winged Pug. 1300+ Devon records, but a new moth for me.
|
|
|
A bit battered, but this is the 2nd of three
Mugwort Pearls Loxostege sticticalis so far. There are
just eight Devon records of this scarce migrant prior to 2026, but I
suspect that number is about to grow significantly!
|
|
|
Our first Mugwort Pearl, a nice fresh one, on July 18th.
|
|
|
Horse-chestnut Leaf-miner Cameraria ohridella. Dead common, but packs a lot into 4mm.
|
|
|
Beautiful Carpet, trapped August 17th. 520+ Devon records, but a
new moth for me.
|
|
|
A rather dull Rosy Knot-horn Oncocera semirubella, trapped August 25th. Only 120-odd Devon records, and a good one to
get in the garden.
|
|
|
The garden's first Vetch Moth Aproerema anthyllidella. Just over 100 Devon records, and we've had five now.
|
|
|
The most recent of seven garden Ni Moths, trapped on August 27th.
Just 61 Devon records of this scarce migrant up to the end of 2025. I
think that number will be obliterated by the end of 2026.
|
|
|
The garden's first Scarce Bordered Straw, trapped September 12th.
With 870+ Devon records, it's a moth I'd expect to see more often, but
don't.
|
|
|
Dewick's Plusia. An absolute stunner, we've had three now,
including two together last night. 67 Devon records up to the end of
2025.
|
|
|
Bordered Straw. With 530+ Devon records it would make sense if we
saw this species less frequently than Scarce Bordered Straw (870+
records) but this is our 8th (cf 1 SBS)
|
|
|
Black Rhomboid Grey Hypatima rhomboidella. 215 Devon records, and this is our first.
|
|
|
With 2,250+ Devon records, the regular migrant Turnip Moth is
another we'd expect to see quite regularly, yet this is only our 2nd.
|
|
|
A totally unexpected catch a few nights ago, two
Heath Rustics arrived from who knows where? A Heather feeder,
there are just 215 Devon records, which isn't loads for a macro. A real
looker, so I'm definitely not complaining!
|
|
|
A nicely-marked Pearly Underwing, the garden's third record of
this regular migrant.
|
|
|
I thought it would be nice to close with this absolutely stunning
Vestal, possibly the pinkest version I've seen. There are 2,150+
Devon records up to the end of 2025, so it's a pretty common migrant
really. We've had 14 so far this year, including three together twice.
|
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.