Pages

Friday 28 January 2022

Small Rewards

Lunchtime by the Axe Estuary and a leisurely pick through the gulls is a regular winter thing whenever I'm working in the area, and today was no exception. Lesser black-backed Gulls have been very few and far between, so a smart adult this afternoon was welcome, and reminded me that passage birds should be turning up in two or three weeks. And then I realised this bird looked really dark...

A lovely intermedius Lesser Black-backed Gull

A typical intermedius has a very crisp look, and makes a standard graellsii seem rather insipid. And when they take to the air, even better...


Like GBBG, not much contrast between the very dark slate-grey upperparts and black primaries.

I wonder what it's doing around here? Wintering, or an early migrant? Whatever, a pleasing reward for the ritual gull sifting. Nothing else stood out among the big 'uns, nor among the Commons and BHGs, so I spent a little more time with the intermedius...


The gull put me in a good mood. Good enough for another pop at the West Bay Purple Sandpiper before heading home. What's the worst that could happen? Another rebuff? Bring it on...

Approaching the end of the pier I could almost see the rock I photographed it on last year. January 27th that was, and likewise my umpteenth try. Today is January 28th; appropriately it was on the rock next door!

What a little cracker! I assume it's the same bird as last winter. Billy no-mates.



So there we go. Nothing fancy, just a nice bit of part-time birding...

2 comments: