Pages

Tuesday 18 October 2022

Barred Warbler et al...

The moth trap didn't take long this morning. Six moths, none new. Breakfast done, and out at first light. I reckoned on a couple of hours birding at West Bay before needing to head for work. A Kingfisher on the river was nice, then a pleasant but fruitless walk along the harbour wall. It felt good though. The wind had changed. An easterly, blowing offshore at an angle. 'Maybe it bodes well?' I thought. Plus a clear sky. Some good vismig potential too...?

Heading uphill towards the West Cliff vismig spot takes you across an open area of rank growth running back from the cliff top. I spied two small birds flying across it, into the breeze. One was a Stonechat; the other was not. The Stonechat's mate had a long, scraggy tail.

Ha! I know what you are...

Right of centre (and up a bit) - a quick record shot in case I never saw it again. Dartford Warbler.

Quickly I phoned Tom, who I guessed would be at the vismig spot, roughly 100m further ahead. Sure enough, he was, and we had decent views together before it went to ground. There have been a few Dartford Warblers along the coast just lately, but this is my first for many years, and a local tick.

It showed again a bit later. I say that, but wouldn't rule out a second bird. Anyway, here it is...

Always the annoying twig!

Lovely to see these dispersing autumn birds along the coast.

I joined Tom at the vismig spot and set up my digital recorder. It is my hope that any unusual vismig birds are nicely captured for posterity in audio format. Like Woodlark, say.

'Woodlark!' said Tom, with some urgency.

I didn't hear a thing. It is audible on the recording, but only just. I am completely in awe of Tom's hearing. Thankfully both birds - for it was two - showed well, with their short-tailed, bouncy flight. Unusually for West Bay, they went east, or maybe north-east.

Moments later...

'Brambling!' Tom again.

I heard that one okay, but literally no more than 0.2 seconds before Tom called it. Astonishing! Here is proof of Tom's uncanny reaction times...


The Brambling was close enough to see lots of orange on it. A smart male.

While Tom is busy counting flyovers and scribbling numbers into his notebook, I am free to relax, gaze around and have my socks blown off. Like this...

A dog walker coming east towards us along the coast path flushed a small bird from low down by the path up into the leafless twigginess of a small Elder bush. I raised my bins and looked at it. I know exactly what I then said, because the words are etched onto the memory card of my recorder, and I've just listened to them. I shan't transcribe it all here, just the first bit...

'Ooh, a Barre... Flippin' 'eck!... Looks like a Barred Warbler...'

Tom sounds very calm as I point out where the bird is, and amazingly I can detect in my voice absolutely no hint of the utter disbelief that I know I felt! Barred Warbler is a very scarce bird in this neck of the woods. In the three Dorset Bird Reports I possess, records as follows: 2020 (0), 2019 (0) and 2018 (1). Suffice to say, Barred Warbler has never really been on my radar.

Barred Warbler, West Bay. Photo taken 08:36, when first seen.

Unfortunately, despite some really excellent views subsequently, the bird never really gave itself up for the camera. At one point I watched it preening, at close range, but deeply buried in a bush. Here it is, reaching for a blackberry...

Barred Warbler in typical pose.

Tom got a few shots of it in the open after I left for work...

West Bay Barred Warbler  ©Tom Brereton

West Bay Barred Warbler    ©Tom Brereton

Perhaps the most satisfying aspect of this morning's jammy find was the fact that the bird involved wasn't a subliminal flyover, but rather an obliging stayer. As I ambled back down the hill towards my car, and work, I met local birder Steve Crimp heading towards me. And I know that he and others later had great views of this classy Dorset rarity.

Excellent.

6 comments:

  1. Excellent indeed Gav. When I think of the pleasure that so many others had from this find, it reveals a contributing factor to our fellow man that most others are unaware of. And not all of us actually had to be there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Handy thing about a smartphone, and Twitter, is the ability to spread bird news really quickly, complete with map and 'dropped pin'. Mind you, I only need that facility once in a blue moon! 😄

      Delete
  2. Quite a reward for the lack of moths, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gav - what a great find - very envious! I love records like this - so much better than one on an offshore island, where these species are expected. Will be trying extra hard for one on Orcombe. All the best. Matt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Matt. Yes, Barred Warbler definitely wasn't on my list of hoped-for local finds. To be honest I'll be happy with YBW, a species which I still haven't found locally!

      Looking forward to seeing what Orcombe produces for you this autumn. All the best! 👍

      Delete