Pages

Sunday 16 October 2022

Moths, McLarens, Megas

Autumn moths continue to fall, one by one. Some recent lovelies...

Green-brindled Crescent. An absolute belter, and right up there with some of the best-looking moths we've yet encountered.


Feathered Thorn, presumably named after its spectacular antennae.

Last night's new moth, the Red-green Carpet.

Our third Beaded Chestnut, a beautifully caramel-coloured individual.

A migrant which we've had a few times, but this is our first Turnip Moth since August.


For some reason I completely forgot to mention in the last post a recent successful seawatch. Exactly one week ago today, 59 Balearic Shearwaters flew east past the West Bay shelter. That compared favourably with my thus-far 2022 total of zero Balearic Shearwaters, so was...er...noteworthy, to say the least. Factor in a Bonxie, 24 Common Scoters, 15 Kitts and at least 37 Med Gulls, and you have what was - for me at least, in this year of largely dire seawatches - a pretty epic event.

I was out again this morning for a potter around, and encountered this at West Bay...


Across the harbour, what appears to be a small gathering of the McLaren Owners Club.

Is there such a thing as Rare Car Alert? Flock of eight must surely be unusual?


Anyway, I am whatever is the polar opposite of a petrol-head, so was happy with distant views. Curiosity got the better of me later though. Googling 'McLaren sportscar' taught me that at least some of these practical, everyday runabouts were (I think) the McLaren 720S, which retails for a cool £220,000 plus. So, had they all been brand spankers, we are talking the fat end of two million quid's worth of tin and plastic right there. Funny old world...

Skylarks were heading west in good numbers this morning. In the 45 minutes I hung around the West Cliff vis-mig spot I reckon a few hundred went through, and I almost wished I had bothered counting. I heard - but didn't see - Siskins too, and a smattering of other common migrants. Nowt in the bushes though. The only other thing which made me get the camera out was this...

Clouded Yellow. One of a few seen this morning.

Which reminds me. Another recent photo that deserves inclusion...

Taken on October 8th, I'm not sure I've ever seen a Wall butterfly quite this late. And no, I couldn't get any closer!

Finally...

For some reason I was absolutely delighted to see news of this beautiful little beastie light up my Twitter feed this week...


Scilly has long been my (or should I say 'our') favourite holiday destination. It's been a while since the last October visit (2015) but I always find myself subconsciously rooting for that lovely archipeligo every autumn. As mega after mega is coaxed from the scant cover of Shetland's vast acreage, I feel for the ever-loyal Scilly regulars who spend a week or two of their holiday time there each year, hoping to have their retinas melted by just such a creature. And this year it has happened. Good for them.

2 comments:

  1. The Blackburnian has had my non twitcher fingers hovering over buying a Scillonian ticket! Great moths you’ve had there.

    ReplyDelete