Pages

Saturday 21 December 2019

Feedback

In my day-to-day birding it is rare that I encounter another birder, yet I am very conscious of the 'birding community' which exists, and that I am part of. I meet it via media like the local WhatsApp group, this blog, Twitter, and so on. And one of the major assets of this community is its collective knowledge. If there is something you don't know or are unsure of, someone out there will either teach you or point you in the right direction. It's been a while since I tapped into that resource, but just lately I have certainly felt the need. I'll start with Wednesday's [putative] Caspian Gull. Here it is again...

Yellow X78C - Caspian Gull, or not?

Though not a textbook 1st-winter Caspian Gull for at least a couple of reasons, I had basically persuaded myself that it was close enough to count as one, and have already outlined my reasons in the relevant post. However, I sensed that two or three fellow SW birders for whom I have great respect when it comes to bird ID possibly had reservations. It was suggested that I seek the opinions of some of the London/SE birders who are far more familiar with Caspian Gull than I am, birders who actively seek out these gulls, love spending time with them and studying them. What did they think? Did this bird make the grade as a Casp?

It was both a good idea and the right thing to do. I'll admit I was apprehensive though. Would my confident claim be vindicated? Suppose it wasn't! Would I eat humble pie and strike this impressive gull from my list of Axe Casps? Or would I defiantly stick out my jaw and say I'm having it anyway?

So, via Twitter I sought the opinions of some birders who know their gulls. Below is a collage of their responses. I hope they won't mind being name-checked here. Obviously I am very grateful for their input...

I'm particularly encouraged by Rich Bonser's comment about the bird's facial expression. Although I haven't seen many individuals in the flesh, I've examined hundreds and hundreds of photos, and that 'look' stands out after a time. It was probably the clinching factor in my original decision.


I'll tell you what, I am delighted that I don't have to choose between humble pie and arrogant defiance. And I'm definitely having it now!


So that's one example of the birding community as a helpful fount of knowledge. Here's another...

Siberian Chiffchaff. As a consequence of the reading I'd done thus far, there were a couple of unanswered questions bothering me, mostly in connection with the genetic determination of birds trapped in the UK, both tristis (Siberian Chiff) and abietinus (Scandinavian Chiff). It struck me that one person who might be able to help is Martin Collinson. Martin is Professor of Genetics at Aberdeen University, and the go-to person when you want your tricky Stonechat poo DNA-tested. Several years ago he was enormously helpful in nailing the ID of the Iberian Chiffchaff which Steve found at Beer Head, using the song recording that Karen Woolley had captured, and analysing the sonograms. So I sent a brief email, with my questions. It was promptly answered, and a PDF of a recent British Birds paper attached to the reply...

I haven't been a BB subscriber for years now, but this was published in the July 2018 edition, and answers all my questions. Timely or what?!

Regular readers will know that I like birding alone. I'm not antisocial (at least, I don't think so) but I relish solitude. So going for weeks without meeting another birder doesn't bother me one bit. However, it is very heartening to know that I am nevertheless part of a wider community, a community which so frequently comes up trumps when you need a bit of help, and ask nicely. Thanks all.

2 comments:

  1. Gav, there's a saying that says,'He who travels alone, travels fastest'. In the context we are now talking about now, this translates to you covering an awful of ground, going places most don't go and single handed making a contribution to the masses that should not be underestimated.

    In another way, once you are up to speed, the majority of us are happy to ride on your coat-tails. For that we are grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind words Ric, and I get where you're coming from, but I am ever more conscious of how little I actually know and how indebted I am to others for either teaching me stuff, or encouraging me to get off my fat backside and go learn it!

      Delete