Pages

Tuesday 31 December 2019

I Have a Problem

As I sit here typing this I should imagine that at least a few potential NQS readers are working their way boozily towards midnight. And what am I doing? I am seeing in the new decade by telling anyone who wants to listen about a sewage farm I visited today.

Very sad.

It's called Kilmington Wastewater Treatment Works, and it's a beauty...

Just look at all those old-school filter beds!

I previously mentioned Kilmington WTW in THIS recent post, and added that viewing was difficult and birds usually quite distant. Well, that was certainly the case back in the day, when I last visited. The only access in those prehistoric times was along the W side, and at the NW corner. But look at it now! There is a new cycle path all along the NE side. Fantastic! Access could hardly be better. I reckon it will probably be just like Colyton WTW, in that a good SW breeze will encourage birds into (and through) that hedge along the NE border. The wind was E or ENE today, so pretty rubbish really, but it was still tremendous winter birding, with literally hundreds of birds to enjoy and sort through.

The post title alludes to the slight addiction I seem to have right now when it comes to Chiffchaffs. More specifically, pale and interesting ones. Siberian ones. Initially today I had brief views of just one, and mainly quite distant views at that, but then chanced upon two together in low brambles next to the cycle path. Heaven! I managed three incredibly poor shots of one of them. Here's the best...

Very bad photo of a Siberian Chiffchaff.

I will visit again, and do better. But as a taster of what the potential might be, today was great. As well as the 2 Sibe Chiffs, there were at least 30+ regular Chiffies, 10+ Goldcrests, a Firecrest, a female Blackcap and a surprise Cetti's Warbler which, I can add, was a male. The Cetti's was very unexpected. I am used to them down on the coast, on the Axe Estuary and at Cogden and West Bexington, but Kilmington is on high ground, some 5 or 6 miles inland. Throw in 150+ Pied Wags, several Meadow Pipits, a pair of Bullfinches, some Chaffinches, etc, etc, and you can see why I was rather excited about the place. Among the Pied Wags I once again had what I am sure was a White Wag, but until I get some good photos/video it will have to remain the dodgy string that you probably think it is...

More than 130 Pied Wagtails. Noisy.

Anyway, this will definitely be my last post of the decade, of which there are only a few minutes left. So, see you next year my friends...

6 comments:

  1. That's a very weird coincidence as I too saw a bird which fitted White Wag on the grass outside of The Royal Temple Yacht Club, Ramsgate on Christmas Eve. A stunning looking individual yet I dismissed it as a dodgy Pied Wag and left it at that. I might have to go back for another look and, this time, take the camera?
    Happy New Year to you and the family - Dyl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dyl, I hope you get your split cane thirty this year!
      Some years back I recall reading about alba Wag ringing results in Devon somewhere (Slapton probably) which was what first alerted me to the possibility of local wintering Whites. Unfortunately I don't have those articles any more, but I have definitely seen a small handful of wintering birds since then. I confess, I've never made any real effort to document them, but now that I have a decent camera I shall try. Sewage Farm wagtails are like quicksilver though, always on the move, and trying to pin one down is going to be a challenge!

      Delete
  2. I spent 10 years working in the grey building next to the WTW, even did some (smelly) work on the tanks, at a time when my birding was emerging from a twenty year hiatus, to quote Bob Seger "Whish I didn't know what I didn't know then" I never realised what potential it had. Thanks for the memories Gav.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you taking me there Derek. And to the disused quarry, where I saw Jack Snipe at least two or three times. The entrance to that old quarry is properly blocked off now. No getting away with "Private? Oh, sorry, I saw the well-trodden path past the gate and assumed it was open to the public..."

      Delete
  3. Of course! Gav! How remiss of me to acknowledge that you rekindled my enthusiasm - still going strong 20 years later! As a result I have had 4 good finds for Pembs on "my patch" enjoyed a dozen pelagic trips into the Irish Sea, enjoyed watching the Red Kite numbers increasing & being part of an enthusiastic birding group. My one rule - never twitch anything more than an hours drive away, Thanks Gav.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've kept at it more consistently than I have Derek. Press on! ;-)

      Delete