Pages

Wednesday 11 December 2019

Pale and Interesting

Life and the weather have joined forces against me. Between them they have reduced my outdoor leisure activity to almost nil just lately. The single ray of sunshine in this desperate gloom is a magical thing called 'lunchtime'. However, despite the immense flexibility of its application, my best lunchtime efforts have yielded nothing. Until today...

It's a long time since I last saw a Siberian Chiffchaff. I honestly don't know when I saw my first, but assume it must have been prior to the Great Phase of the 1990s. I genuinely don't remember. But I can remember my first tristis of modern times. It was late December 2004, and @birdingprof was visiting. I took him to the field next to Colyton Wastewater Treatment Works (like you should when folks visit) and among the myriad Chiffs present we found a pale one. I expect the Prof spotted it first, so I'll give him the credit right there. Anyway, it was a real corker, and satisfied all my tristis needs. It actually called and everything. And stuck around. And was twitched. I wrote a description, sent it in. Sibe Chiff. Accepted. Hero.

At...er...lunchtime today, I found myself adjacent to Colyton WTW once again, just like old times. The reason I was there was so that I could scan the field across the road, because there are Water Pipits living in it right now. Could I find them? No I couldn't. And to be fair it was hardly a thrilling enterprise, so I wasn't as conscientious as I might have been. Alrighty then, a quick look behind the Treatment Works before I go...

Strewth! It was absolutely jumping with Chiffs. At least 30, maybe 40 or more. Definitely worth some time.

Colyton WTW. If you twitched the Devon Eastern Yellow Wagtail, you've been here. Those filter beds are absolutely crawling with little midgy fly-things, and the prevailing SW breezes push them into (and through) the hedge that runs along the NE border. Guess where all the Chiffies usually are...

Initially it was Treecreepers and Goldcrests that entertained me. Point-blank views of both. And then, among the collybita horde...

Ooh! You're rather pale and interesting, arent you?!

I could see straight away that it looked pretty good for tristis, but would it call for me? No it would not. Anyway, I watched it for quite a while as it moved up and down the hedge, and tried valiantly to get some photos. Here are what amount to the most helpful efforts...



Through bins the ear coverts looked convincingly 'milky tea' coloured to me, but that feature doesn't come across brilliantly in the photos. Even so, I cannot really see anything amiss, and am happy to call this a pukka Siberian Chiffchaff (Phylloscopus collybita tristis). However, I am far from an expert on such subtleties, and welcome comments.

Vive le lunchtime!

6 comments:

  1. All day long Gav, you don't need poo or a sonogram for that one. Gorgeous birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcus. You're so right - proper little gem in the flesh!

      Delete
  2. For some reason we have none around the usual haunts in Torbay this winter, in fact there is a decided lack of chiffs. Where there are normally 10+ collybita Chiffs at the moment just 2 and the other regular site that normally has 8+ collybita there is just 1! The winter is still young so perhaps they are just late arriving. Not a sniff (or even tse-wee) of a wintering YBW this year either. Perhaps I should try a a nearby open filtration sewage works (not many left around Torbay now, its turned hi-tec and underground).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mike, perhaps they've all moved east! I was amazed at how many Chiffs there were yesterday, but I hadn't visited Colyton WTW for ages and I guess I'd forgotten how good it can be. What records I do have tell me that I counted 32 there several years ago. There is just so much food available.

      I ought to check my local area for any similar locations...

      Delete
    2. A long way off from you I know Gav, I agree with Mike,, YBWs been scarce here in Pembs this Autumn, however we too have Monk Haven WTW which produces good numbers of wintering Chiffchaffs, some "pale" others which appear to be in between suggesting (by those more familiar with these birds) that as their ranges overlap they could be hybridised. As far as I know no Pembs birder has checked the site out yet but it usually gets a grilling over the Christmas break. It's right on my door step too (5mins) & I shall be the first there. Thanks for the timely reminder - I should be there more often. As well as other nearby under looked potential sites........

      Delete
    3. Sounds like a location worth checking out Derek, especially if nobody else has been visiting so far this winter. Who knows what could be lurking...?

      As for YBWs, I haven't seen one locally for years, though I guess that simply reflects my lack of effort. I know there have been winter birds at Branscombe Sewage Works before, and I certainly wouldn't say no to another one soon! Preferably nearer though.

      Delete