Pages

Friday 27 December 2019

What Next?

Why am I finding it so hard to write something about the end of one year and the start of the next? My aim was simply to summarise 2019 and outline one or two plans for 2020, but I cannot seem to do it...

NQS has had a characteristically sporadic year. For most of 2019 I can truthfully say that I had little inclination to write about what was filling my time, despite the fact that there were many 'firsts'. Like the first time I have plumbed a complete central heating system, plastered a ceiling, screeded a floor, fitted a window, built a 6-door, 17-drawer wardrobe out of MDF from absolute scratch (painting it took an eternity!) and umpteen other DIY adventures. And anyway, that's not what NQS is for. So...

2019 started like this...

January 4th, and it's late afternoon on the River Frome at Wool

Rob and I managed just one trip in pursuit of grayling before he had to fly back to Zürich, and work. It was not an auspicious beginning to the year; we blanked. I couldn't muster any enthusiasm to write about it, so NQS didn't get going until a fluky Caspian Gull on January 16th. Then came several months of just the odd token post, followed by a remarkable deluge from early October. What can I say? Yep, I know. Typical...

I am glad to have rediscovered a zeal for birding, and I hope it lasts. A zeal for writing too. In many ways the NQS 'Dodgy Birders' series has played a major part in that. This blog has always meant more to me than a means to record events, share exciting moments or entertain. Just occasionally it is nice to explore something a little deeper, and that particular topic allowed me to do so. And I enjoyed it. Judging by the number of 'page-views', I was not alone. Most pleasing of all was the unanticipated opportunity it provided to say "thank you" to someone who did me a good turn a long time ago (see HERE). Needless to say, I hope too that this desire and enthusiasm to write remains keen.

This may or may not be the final NQS post of the decade, but I'll nevertheless use it as a vehicle to wish all readers the very best with their upcoming plans. And I'll close with this final thought...

When you and I read a blogger's output we are just seeing that which he or she feels is appropriate to share on a public platform. In other words, the very tiny tip of an iceberg. I don't know about you, but personally I cannot help but try to read between the lines, to get a glimpse of the individual behind the words. Once in a while that does happen, and you get this little hint of something more than just a name. I like that. It connects me to the writer, and is one of the reasons I still enjoy reading blogs. Long may that be so...

Major 2019 highlight which didn't make the blog. Granddaughter.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your Granddaughter Gav. It's been awhile since I had one to play with.

    Of blogs, I too like to get a glimpse of the personality of the writer. I don't expect them to reveal all, but revealing nothing and just reporting actions I find dull and lifeless.

    It's like fishing trophy shots. Some anglers have nothing but those. Years later it's the photos of a crowd of you all messing about that stir the memories.

    The way I see things. Many blogs are but an outline. And in one piece. Whereas the outline of your blog has many parts, with insights within, adding colour and detail.

    Always worth a read.

    ReplyDelete